Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 2, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 258: Feel-Good Friday with Claudia Thompson, President of Claudia Connects
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
- June 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 255: Ramblings on the Run with Ali & Matt
- June 24, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 254: Samia Akbar, Fastest U.S.-Born Black Female Marathoner
Ali on the Run Show Episode 239: Dinée Dorame, Citizen of the Navajo Nation
“I was at the cross-section of a couple different identities that people didn’t quite understand.”
Dinée Dorame is a citizen of the Navajo Nation, Water’s Edge clan. She’s a lifelong runner who grew up in Albuquerque, NM, moved to the east coast to attend and later work in admissions at Yale University, and has since returned to Albuquerque, where she is the Associate Director of College Horizons. On this episode, Dinée talks passionately about the role of running in Native culture, and the role her culture plays in her life on and off the run. She talks about setbacks she’s experienced related to Accessory Navicular Syndrome, and how she has dealt with chronic pain, and offers advice for how and why runners can and should better connect with the land around them.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Was Dinée’s plan always to return home to New Mexico after attending Yale? (4:30)
- What it was like growing up as a Native girl in Albuquerque, NM (12:00)
- Why Dinée says running “is like medicine” for many indigenous people (24:30)
- What Dinée says are some of the most common misperceptions of Native people today (41:15)
What we mention on this episode:
Running: A Love Story, by Jen A. Miller
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!