Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 6, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 260: On the Job with United States Air Force Colonel Shelly Mendieta
- July 5, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 259: On the Record with the Hosts of Keeping Track
- July 2, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 258: Feel-Good Friday with Claudia Thompson, President of Claudia Connects
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
Ali on the Run Show Episode 218: Anita Perez, 2:39 Marathoner, Single Mom, & Special Education Teacher
“It’s almost like I was running away from what had happened.”
Anita Perez just might be one of the most inspiring, hardworking, dedicated women you’ll ever meet. She’s a 2:39 marathoner (who also runs a 1:17 half marathon), a single mom to two kids, and a middle school special education teacher. She’s kind and caring, and she works her butt off in every facet of her life (including waking up at 3 AM to get her workouts in). On this episode, she talks about what it was like running at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials last month, compares that to her experience running the 2016 Trials, and opens up about the years in between. She talks about her mom passing away after a short and devastating bout with cancer, and opens up about how that affected her running. It’s a powerful, poignant episode.
Thank you to the Atlanta Track Club for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! The Atlanta Track Club is proud to host the AJC Peachtree Road Race — the largest 10K in the world! — every year on the Fourth of July. The lottery for this year’s race opens on March 15, so head to ajc.com/peachtree to enter!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Anita recaps her race at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials (3:40)
- Reflecting on running through grief (14:45)
- On the goal to run an Olympic Trials qualifying time (25:00)
- What Anita’s typical day looks like (37:30)
- Why Anita loves her work as a middle school special education teacher (43:45)
What we mention on this episode:
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!