Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 6, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 260: On the Job with United States Air Force Colonel Shelly Mendieta
- July 5, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 259: On the Record with the Hosts of Keeping Track
- July 2, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 258: Feel-Good Friday with Claudia Thompson, President of Claudia Connects
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
Ali on the Run Show Episode 196: The CIM 2:45 Pacers
“We put ourselves on the line to help other people accomplish their dreams, and that was pretty freaking awesome.”
At the California International Marathon (CIM) earlier this month, 72 women ran faster than 2 hours 45 minutes, officially qualifying to run the Olympic Trials in the marathon. Leading several dozen of those women were Menso de Jong, Chris Stehula, and Ken Rakestraw — the official sub-2:45 pace group leaders. None of them had ever run a 2:45 marathon before. This is their story.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Menso, Chris, and Ken got the job as pacers (3:40)
- How Menso, Chris, and Ken trained for the race (16:30)
- The plan for race day! (26:25)
- What the energy at the CIM start line was like (32:20)
- On the rules of pacing (49:00)
- What the finish was like (53:20)
- Menso, Chris, and Ken share their messages for all the women who went for OTQ times at CIM this year (1:03.50)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!