Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 6, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 260: On the Job with United States Air Force Colonel Shelly Mendieta
- July 5, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 259: On the Record with the Hosts of Keeping Track
- July 2, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 258: Feel-Good Friday with Claudia Thompson, President of Claudia Connects
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
Ali on the Run Show Episode 190: Sarah True, Olympian & Ironman Triathlete
“One of the hardest conversations I ever had was to admit that I’d been struggling. And I no longer wanted to be alive.”
Sarah True is a professional triathlete and Olympian. On this episode, she honestly and vulnerably shares her story of competing at the 2016 Olympics in Rio, hitting rock bottom, and the intense emotional recovery that followed. She opens up about her history with mood disorders and depression, and talks about how stress affects her body and her performance. She also talks about the past two years competing at the Ironman distance, including a very good year followed by a challenging one.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- On diversity, inclusivity, privilege, and bias in sport (3:00)
- Sarah reflects on her racing year (8:30)
- Sarah talks about competing at the 2016 Olympics in Rio, and the emotional aftermath that followed (24:45)
- Sarah talks about managing her depression, and what that looks like today (36:00)
- How Sarah met her now-husband, fellow professional athlete Ben True (46:00)
- What Sarah says are the universal struggles in sport (51:00)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!