Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- June 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 243: On the Job with Amy Diallo, Covid-19 Researcher
- May 27, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 242: Shalane Flanagan
- May 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 241: On the Job with JoMarie Flores, Funeral Director
- May 21, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 240: Lee Glandorf, Tracksmith Head of Communications
- May 20, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 239: Dinée Dorame, Citizen of the Navajo Nation
Ali on the Run Show Episode 163: You Can Run a Marathon with Alexi Pappas
“I realized, no one on the sidelines is judging me as harshly as I’m judging myself.”
Welcome to the first episode in the seven-part “You Can Run a Marathon” series, all about getting you through training and to the start line of your first or next 26.2-mile race. Whether you’re training for your first, your fastest, or your funnest, we’re here to help you reach your goals. Who’s “we?” On this series, I’ll be talking with runners about their training and races, as well as experts who can answer all of your questions about training, fueling, and just how many 20-mile runs you should be doing before you start to taper.
The series kicks off with Olympian Alexi Pappas. Alexi is a middle-distance runner turned marathoner. She made her 26.2-mile debut at the 2018 Chicago Marathon, and on this episode, she’s honest about how humbling this distance is for runners of all levels. She talks about her own fueling strategies, what she’ll do differently leading up to her next race, and what advice she’s received from the legendary Deena Kastor.
Thank you to Generation UCAN for sponsoring the You Can Run a Marathon series on the Ali on the Run Show! Click here and use code ONTHERUN for 20 percent off your order, plus free shipping. (First-time buyers, check out the UCAN Run Starter Pack here, and get 50 percent off.)
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Why Alexi wanted to give the marathon a shot, and how she feels about owning the “marathoner” title (2:20)
- What made Alexi’s first marathon “harder than it looks” (5:50)
- Goal setting as a first-time marathoner (9:30)
- On running and racing with Deena Kastor (14:30)
- How Alexi felt when she finished her first marathon (17:30)
- How and when Alexi decided to run a marathon (20:20)
- What goes into Alexi’s marathon training plan (24:20)
- On fueling and nutrition (33:25)
- What is Alexi thinking about when she’s racing? (40:50)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!