Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- Everything’s better in the off-season. 😎 @ Asbury Park Boardwalk https://t.co/lQSHJQD2c2 about 8 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- NYC runners, I am so sad I can't go to this, but YOU SHOULD! A great lineup sharing @nycmarathon tips, advice, and… https://t.co/uFMAjhepeC about 15 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My gift to myself for surviving my first year of motherhood was the gift of family photos — taken by the same perso… https://t.co/BSf4zcicWd 07:33:24 AM October 17, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Last year, Carly Gill fell just two minutes short of her goal of qualifying for the Olympic Marathon Trials. On thi… https://t.co/4shPKggSF2 06:31:24 AM October 17, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 182: Carly Gill, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- October 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 181: Carrie Tollefson BONUS EPISODE!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
Ali on the Run Show Episode 155: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Molly Millwood, Clinical Psychologist
“There’s a fear of the foundation we’re standing on having too many cracks in it.”
Dr. Molly Millwood is a clinical psychologist and licensed psychotherapist specializing in marital therapy and intimate relationships. She’s also the author of the just-released book, To Have and To Hold: Motherhood, Marriage, & the Modern Dilemma. On this episode, Dr. Millwood expands on many of the new-mom-related topics she covers in her brilliant book, including guilt, shame, missing life before baby, marriage after baby, gender roles for new parents, and social media. Dr. Millwood lives in Vermont with her husband and two sons.
Thank you to Sweaty Betty for sponsoring Motherhood Mondays on the Ali on the Run Show! Go to sweatybetty.com and use code ONTHERUN for 20 percent off your purchase.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What tends to hold new moms back from going to therapy (8:00)
- The shame and guilt surrounding new motherhood (13:00)
- On missing “life before baby” (21:00)
- Why no one is talking about what their romantic relationships are like after having a baby (25:00)
- How couples can improve their communication when talking about tough stuff (34:30)
- On expectations (40:20)
- How social media affects new moms (44:50)
- Some of the most common reasons women come to Molly for therapy (48:00)
- What does a first-time therapy session actually look like? (54:00)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!