Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- Super cool Ali on the Run Show shout-out today in @engadget! (Thanks so much for the kind words and love,… https://t.co/YBdX6DTjq3 about 5 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Annie was born on a sunny Tuesday morning, at exactly 39 weeks. Today, on another sunny Tuesday, she’s exactly 39 w… https://t.co/UhQ1Sk9uHn about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- July 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 157: Motherhood Mondays with Julia Berteletti and Laura Green
- July 10, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 156: Sarah MacKay Robinson, Elite Runner
- July 7, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 155: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Molly Millwood, Clinical Psychologist
- July 2, 2019 by AliLife Lately
- June 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 154: Motherhood Mondays with Hitha Palepu, on Postpartum Depression, Breaking Points, & Parenting Unapologetically
Ali on the Run Show Episode 148: April Cargill on Becoming a Marathoner at 50
“I thought oh, London Marathon, that sounds cute! So I signed up. And then I was like Paris Marathon? Oh my god, that sounds so cute, too. So I signed up for that, too.”
In her twenties, April Cargill was a two-pack-a-day smoker working long days and staying up late nights in the fashion industry in New York City. Today, at 55, the Harlem native is a six-time marathoner on a quest to complete all six World Marathon Majors. On this episode, April — who is the director of production for designer Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss — talks about why she started running in her fifties, what finally got her to kick the smoking habit, and what it’s like being a hard-working single mom.
Thank you to the New York Road Runners Virtual Pride Run 5K for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE to register (it’s free!) and complete your run between June 22–30. Everybody’s doing it!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What was 20-year-old April up to? (3:00)
- What April’s job in the fashion industry is like (4:50)
- How April got into a serious smoking habit — and found fitness when she quit (7:40)
- What it was like starting running in her fifties, and the intimidation factor that came with it (23:00)
- On joining November Project, and working out with her son, Aubrey (32:00)
- April opens up about being a single mom (41:40)
- How running has helped April get through tough times (47:11)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!