Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- Super cool Ali on the Run Show shout-out today in @engadget! (Thanks so much for the kind words and love,… https://t.co/YBdX6DTjq3 about 5 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Annie was born on a sunny Tuesday morning, at exactly 39 weeks. Today, on another sunny Tuesday, she’s exactly 39 w… https://t.co/UhQ1Sk9uHn about 11 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- July 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 157: Motherhood Mondays with Julia Berteletti and Laura Green
- July 10, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 156: Sarah MacKay Robinson, Elite Runner
- July 7, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 155: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Molly Millwood, Clinical Psychologist
- July 2, 2019 by AliLife Lately
- June 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 154: Motherhood Mondays with Hitha Palepu, on Postpartum Depression, Breaking Points, & Parenting Unapologetically
Ali on the Run Show Episode 145: Leigh Anne Sharek, Co-Founder of Brooklyn Track Club
“It took a while — a lot of runs, a lot of soul searching — to have this confidence now to just show up and say, ‘I’ve earned this. I deserve to be here. I’ve put in the work to be in this spot.'”
Leigh Anne Sharek is the co-founder of the Brooklyn Track Club, which started as an idea a few years ago and has since grown to nearly 250 members. She’s the co-host of the Runners of NYC podcast, she’s a sub-five-minute miler, and she’s a forensic scientist for New York City’s chief medical examiner. (So cool!) On this episode, Leigh Anne talks about going from a 4-hour marathon to a 2:41 marathon, and nabbing an Olympic Trials qualifying time. She talks about running with faster people and what it’s like when you realize you’re fast, and she shares some oh-so-relatable feelings about showing up to her first group run. Leigh Anne, a former gymnast, has become a well-known face on the NYC running scene, and was named one of New York Road Runners’ Runners of the Year last year. So what’s it like moving up to the front of the pack and racing alongside the pros? Leigh Anne lets us know, and talks about the great state of the women’s running community in New York City right now.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- On going from a 4-hour marathon to a 2:41 Olympic Trials Qualifier (4:20)
- Leigh Anne’s take on having a chill approach to running and racing, and on finding her place at the front of the pack (13:25)
- Where the pressure to run well comes from (20:45)
- The birth and growth of Brooklyn Track Club (22:30)
- What it was like qualifying for the Olympic Trials (35:45)
- Leigh Anne’s hopes and dreams for Brooklyn Track Club (43:00)
- All about life as a forensic scientist, including how Leigh Anne got into the field (44:30)
- Leigh Anne’s advice for conquering big goals (51:10)
What we mention on this episode:
Follow Leigh Anne:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!