Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 15, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 263: Hawi Keflezighi, Founder & CEO of HAWI Management
- July 12, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 262: On the Record with Chris Chavez, Host of the Citius Mag and Runners of NYC Podcasts
- July 8, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 261: Jess Sims, Peloton Instructor
- July 6, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 260: On the Job with United States Air Force Colonel Shelly Mendieta
- July 5, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 259: On the Record with the Hosts of Keeping Track
Ali on the Run Show Episode 142: Jen Ator, Women's Running Editor in Chief
“You really can do anything. That doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy and that doesn’t mean it’s not going to be without sacrifice. It also doesn’t mean you’re going to be a rockstar at it. But you can do anything if you’re willing to put yourself out there and really risk failing in a huge way.”
Last month, Jen Ator was hired as the new editor in chief of Women’s Running. Before joining WR, Jen was the longtime fitness director at Women’s Health. On this episode, Jen talks about her decision to leave one dream job for another, and shares her hopes, dreams, and big plans for Women’s Running. She shares her running story, including the heartbreaking knee injury that sidelined her just as she was hitting her running groove. Plus, she shares her advice for getting through some “really tough days.” Jen also talks about the opportunity of a lifetime: getting to race Ironman Kona with training partner and Olympic speed skater Apolo Ohno. She talks about her friendship with Deena Kastor, how her approach to exercise has changed over the past few years, and her book, The Fitness Fix.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How it feels to get to say “I’m an editor in chief” Plus, Jen opens up about her decision to leave one dream job for another (3:30)
- Jen’s hopes, dreams, plans, and goals for Women’s Running — and is anything off-limits? (9:15)
- What does the editor in chief job entail? (16:20)
- Jen reflects on her time at Women’s Health, and how she rose through the ranks and really proved herself to a tough editor in chief (30:00)
- Jen’s running story — how she went from college lacrosse player to runner to devastating ACL injury to competing at Ironman Kona alongside Apolo Ohno (39:30)
- On dealing with imposter syndrome leading up to Ironman Kona (54:30)
- What’s next for Jen? (1:01:10)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!