Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- June 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 243: On the Job with Amy Diallo, Covid-19 Researcher
- May 27, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 242: Shalane Flanagan
- May 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 241: On the Job with JoMarie Flores, Funeral Director
- May 21, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 240: Lee Glandorf, Tracksmith Head of Communications
- May 20, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 239: Dinée Dorame, Citizen of the Navajo Nation
Ali on the Run Show Episode 111: Yosef Herzog, Today Show Stage Manager
“I wanted to see if I could do it. And then once I did it, I wanted to see what else I could do.” —Yosef Herzog
For most people, 3:30 AM is the middle of the night. For Yosef Herzog, it’s time to get to work. As stage manager for NBC’s Today show, Yosef starts his day early. As a two-time marathon runner, he ends it late. Yosef is on set at NBC by 4:30 AM, leaves after the show wraps at 11 AM, and then runs in the evenings with Brooklyn Track Club. On this episode, he talks about making it all work, shares why he decided to leave his steady, well-paying career in finance to get into television, and opens up about his impressive 50-pound weight loss. Plus, he talks about what it’s like working at the Olympics, and what it was like meeting the Obamas.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- All the moves that led Yosef to his job at Today, including the a-ha moment that made him realize he needed to make a total career change (3:15)
- What it’s like being a part of NBC’s prestigious Page program (6:40)
- How Yosef landed at the Today show, and what his job as stage manager entails (13:15)
- What Yosef’s day looks like (17:10)
- What Yosef says are the biggest challenges about working on live TV (21:25)
- Yosef talks about major NBC events including Christmas in Rockefeller Center, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Halloween on the Plaza, the concerts, and the Olympics (24:00)
- What it’s like covering national tragedies (29:30)
- How Yosef got into running — and lost 50 pounds in the process — and what his lifestyle looks like now (33:00)
- Why Yosef got into racing (47:40)
- What’s next for Yosef? (53:30)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!