Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- November 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 189: Running Industry Hot Takes with Phoebe Wright
- November 13, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 188: Nikki Hiltz & Therese Haiss
- November 6, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 187: I'm a New York City Marathon Race Announcer!
- November 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 186: Why It's An Exciting Time for Women's Running LIVE Show
- October 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 185: Janelle Hartman, Final Finisher of the 2018 New York City Marathon
Ali on the Run Show Episode 100: Des Linden, 2018 Boston Marathon Champion
“I would love to do something with finesse one of these days, but I guess I’m all grit.” —Des Linden
Welcome to the 100th episode of the Ali on the Run Show! And for this very special episode, I’m thrilled to welcome back 2018 Boston Marathon winner Desiree Linden. This is the third time Des has been on the Ali on the Run Show, and it’s always a treat getting a chance to get inside her hardworking, hilarious, competitive head. On this episode, Des recaps her monumental 2018 Boston Marathon victory (including how long her post-race shower was!), and talks about her recent (gritty!) Rock ‘N’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon win. Des is currently gearing up to run the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon, so she also talks about how training is going — and finally answers the question everyone’s been asking: “Who’s coaching you right now?” Des left the Hansons-Brooks Project earlier this year, and today she talks about how she’s shaking things up post-Boston, and how she recovered from her 2017 running slump.
Des loves coffee, and if you do, too, you should drink her coffee! Use code ONTHERUN for 10% off your Linden+True coffee order.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $55 off your wireless headphone bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How it feels to be the 2018 Boston Marathon champion (2:45)
- What the vibe was like standing on the Boston Marathon start line in the cold, pouring rain, and what was going through Des’s mind before starting the race (4:40)
- Des breaks down the moment when Shalane made that now-famous bathroom stop during the race (7:00)
- Des offers up advice for how to make a mental shift mid-race (11:30)
- What it felt like crossing the finish line and winning the Boston Marathon, and what Des remembers most from those few minutes after finishing (15:15)
- How soon after Boston Des started thinking about her next race and goal, and why she decided on the New York City Marathon (20:45)
- Who’s coaching Des Linden? (24:30)
- What it was like winning the Rock N Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon last month (29:00)
- Des shares her goals for the 2018 New York City Marathon, and whether she feels more pressure going into this race after winning Boston (32:00)
- Des’s best advice for staying good, strong, healthy, and injury-free on the run (35:30)
- Des answers listener questions, including who she considers her main American competitors right now, whether she’s down to take selfies with fans, and whether there’s a mini Des and Ryan in the future (36:30)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!