Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- A beautiful piece about @ShalaneFlanagan's retirement, by @erinstrout for @WomensRunning! https://t.co/MroKJYnzsf 09:48:56 AM October 21, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It’s hard not to play the comparison game sometimes when it comes to running and social media. Every weekend morni… https://t.co/aM5H9M1OmL 07:34:45 PM October 20, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Everything’s better in the off-season. 😎 @ Asbury Park Boardwalk https://t.co/lQSHJQD2c2 02:45:55 PM October 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- NYC runners, I am so sad I can't go to this, but YOU SHOULD! A great lineup sharing @nycmarathon tips, advice, and… https://t.co/uFMAjhepeC 07:34:49 AM October 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 182: Carly Gill, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- October 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 181: Carrie Tollefson BONUS EPISODE!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
Ali on the Run Show Episode 96: LIVE at NYRR RunnerCon with Jenny Simpson, Emma Coburn, & Peter Ciaccia
“It’s every competitor for themselves, and there’s no mercy after the gun goes off.” —Jenny Simpson
I was thrilled when New York Road Runners asked me to be part of the organization’s first RunnerCon event to kick off the world-renowned 5th Avenue Mile weekend in New York City. The Ali on the Run Show LIVE event was sandwiched between a panel with YouTube sensation (and super speedy runner!) Casey Neistat and one with professional runner and cancer-fighting superstar Gabe Grunewald — not bad company to be in! Enjoy the recording from the live show, where I had the best time chatting with an all-star lineup including New York Road Runners President of Events and Race Director of the TCS New York City Marathon Peter Ciaccia, and professional runners Jenny Simpson and Emma Coburn. (And biggest thanks to everyone who came out to support the show in person. The crowd was amazing and so much fun!)
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Peter Ciaccia — the man behind asking for “clearance on the roadways” at New York Road Runners events — talks about how he got into the running industry and ended up at the helm of NYRR
- Peter reflects on the pressure that comes with being in charge of the world’s biggest marathon, plus whether he checks the weather obsessively before the race and whether he sleeps the week of the marathon (6:30)
- Peter’s advice to anyone who has ever worried about “coming in last” at a race (10:15)
- Peter shares his favorite memory from his 18-year NYRR career — and his most memorable race-day blooper (12:20)
- Jenny Simpson and Emma Coburn talk about what it’s like being both friends and competitors (23:15)
- Jenny shares whether pressure comes with defending her 5th Avenue Mile title (26:00)
- Jenny and Emma talk about confidence, and how social media comes into play (28:20)
- How Jenny defines failure, and what has the ability to rattle both women on the start line (32:15)
- What Emma’s competitive about off the race course (37:00)
- Jenny and Emma sprint to the finish (40:40)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!