Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 267: Catching Up with Emily Halnon
- July 26, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 266: On the Record with Mario Fraioli, Host of The Morning Shakeout
- July 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 265: Catching Up with Chris Heuisler
- July 19, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 264: On the Record with Dana Giordano, Host of More Than Running
- July 15, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 263: Hawi Keflezighi, Founder & CEO of HAWI Management
Ali on the Run Show Episode 73: Erin Strout, Runner's World Contributing Editor
“If you want to give yourself a fair shot, you have to be willing to take a leap and take a risk.” —Erin Strout
Erin Strout was at the Boston Marathon finish line when Meb Keflezighi won the race in 2014. She was there when Shalane Flanagan won the New York City Marathon in 2017, and she was one of the first people to chat with Desiree Linden after her historic 2018 Boston Marathon victory. As a freelance writer and contributor to Runner’s World and Outside Magazine, Erin has made a career out of covering elite athletes at major marathons, small-town races, and the Rio Olympic Games. On this episode, she talks about how she got her start in journalism (she used to be on the front lines at crime scenes!), what it’s really like being a member of the media at high-profile sporting events, and whether she reads the comments on her stories.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $30 off your wireless headphone purchase!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- An inside look at the making of Erin’s “Behind the Scenes of Desiree Linden’s Incredible Boston Marathon Win” story for Runner’s World (2:00)
- Erin’s take on the 2018 Boston Marathon, and what it’s like being a member of the media during major race weekends (6:35)
- What it was like being at the finish when Meb Keflezighi won the 2014 Boston Marathon — and what it was like the year before, covering the Boston Marathon bombings (15:45)
- How Erin got her start in journalism in rural Pennsylvania, and how she ended up as a freelancer in Flagstaff, AZ (24:00)
- Why Erin loves covering the running industry (34:00)
- What Erin says is the biggest challenge in her career right now (41:30)
- Whether Erin reads the comments on her stories for Runner’s World (44:20)
- Erin’s best advice for aspiring writers, reporters, editors, and freelancers (53:10)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!