Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- A beautiful piece about @ShalaneFlanagan's retirement, by @erinstrout for @WomensRunning! https://t.co/MroKJYnzsf 09:48:56 AM October 21, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It’s hard not to play the comparison game sometimes when it comes to running and social media. Every weekend morni… https://t.co/aM5H9M1OmL 07:34:45 PM October 20, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Everything’s better in the off-season. 😎 @ Asbury Park Boardwalk https://t.co/lQSHJQD2c2 02:45:55 PM October 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- NYC runners, I am so sad I can't go to this, but YOU SHOULD! A great lineup sharing @nycmarathon tips, advice, and… https://t.co/uFMAjhepeC 07:34:49 AM October 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 182: Carly Gill, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- October 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 181: Carrie Tollefson BONUS EPISODE!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
Ali on the Run Show Episode 67: Tina Muir, Host of the Running For Real Podcast
“I’m trying not to call it a comeback because I’m a completely different person now.” —Tina Muir
Tina Muir is an elite runner from England (she’s a 2:36 marathoner!), a new mom, and the host of the Running For Real podcast. Tina went viral last year when she announced her surprising decision to stop running. Her reason: She hadn’t had her period in nine years. Tina opened up about her struggle with amenorrhea and her desire to start a family, and on this episode she explains why she decided to share her story, what it was like going viral and having People magazine write about her period, and what she was afraid people would think about her. Tina also discusses body dysmorphia, how she handled intentionally gaining weight, her eventual pregnancy, and how giving birth compares to running a marathon. Check out Running For Real in a few weeks, when I’ll be Tina’s guest!
This episode is brought to you by Strava, the leading social network for athletes. Click here to join today, and then enter for your chance to win a 2018 TCS New York City Marathon entry and a $500 travel stipend!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What it means to be a professional runner, and how Tina made it work after college (3:30)
- Why Tina decided to stop running (6:50)
- Tina’s journey with amenorrhea (11:40)
- The steps Tina took to try and beat her amenorrhea (17:50)
- Why Tina shared her story when she did (20:00)
- What it was actually like setting out to gain weight, and how Tina dealt with it emotionally (22:30)
- Tina’s timeline: How long it took from when she stopped running to when she got pregnant (28:45)
- Why Tina decided to start running again at six weeks pregnant, and how running went throughout her pregnancy (33:50)
- How Tina approached childbirth with the same mentality as running a marathon (37:00)
- Tina’s triumphant return to running after having a baby — and whether she’s worried about amenorrhea striking again (39:00)
- How Tina got into podcasting (42:55)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!