Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 2, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 258: Feel-Good Friday with Claudia Thompson, President of Claudia Connects
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
- June 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 255: Ramblings on the Run with Ali & Matt
- June 24, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 254: Samia Akbar, Fastest U.S.-Born Black Female Marathoner
Ali on the Run Show Episode 60: Emma Coburn
“The narrative that I couldn’t do things never entered my life.”
Emma Coburn is a professional middle-distance runner for New Balance. She’s a world champion in the steeplechase, and competed at both the 2012 and 2016 Olympic games. On this episode, the Crested Butte, CO, native (and newlywed!) talks about being coached by her husband, Joe Bosshard, explains the unintentional way she got into the steeplechase, and talks about what it was like breaking her own American record in the 3000-meter steeplechase in London in 2017. Plus, she opens up about body image, posing nude for the ESPN Bodies Issue, and what inspires her.
This episode is brought to you by Strava, the leading social network for athletes. Click here to join today!
Here’s what you’ll get in this episode:
- Emma explains what exactly the steeplechase is, how she became a professional steeplechaser, and why it’s such an awesome event (1:30)
- Why Emma had no interest in running in college (6:25)
- Emma’s decision to go pro (9:45)
- How Emma found her mental strength (11:20)
- Emma’s most recent record-breaking performance — at 7,000 feet! (14:30)
- What it’s like breaking your own world record (18:00)
- How Emma met her now-husband — and coach! — Joe Bosshard (22:20)
- Why Emma wanted to gain 10 pounds for her wedding (23:25)
- What Emma’s relationship with her body is like (28:10)
- Emma’s advice for improving your confidence and body image (31:30)
- What it was like posing nude for the ESPN Bodies Issue (33:45)
- What’s going through Emma’s head when she’s on the starting line (40:05)
- What it was like medaling at the Rio Olympics in 2016 — and becoming the first American woman to medal in the steeplechase at the Olympics (41:00)
- How Emma stood her ground against Rule 40 (44:15)
- What inspires Emma every day (46:10)
- Emma’s advice for how to make running fun (48:35)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!