Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- Feisty looking sky today! Perfectly suits my Monday morning mood, thanks to a killer career pep talk with… https://t.co/n3N43wos2f about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Family. Friends. Fitness. Fresh air. This weekend had all my favorite F-words. @ Palisades Interstate Park - Ross… https://t.co/iLzjZOUUIX about 22 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Mom & Dad’s Night Out! Thrilled to be celebrating sammham & weinerdogbitit tonight at the most gorgeous wedding. (M… https://t.co/o6HNYXJIrR 06:17:41 PM November 09, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My girl. 💕 @ Weehawken, New Jersey https://t.co/Fj5wMIoynd 08:34:36 AM November 08, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- November 6, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 187: I'm a New York City Marathon Race Announcer!
- November 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 186: Why It's An Exciting Time for Women's Running LIVE Show
- October 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 185: Janelle Hartman, Final Finisher of the 2018 New York City Marathon
- October 28, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 184: Crohn's Disease and Motherhood with Natalie Hayden
- October 23, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 183: Stephanie Pennington, Creator of Project Finish
Don't Get Food Poisoning
“Eat salad,” they said. “It’s healthy,” they said. Vegetables are good for you,” they said. “Taste the rainbow!”
And so, even though I really wanted a cheesy omelet or an avocado BLT smothered in chipotle mayo, I decided, “You know what? I’ll have a salad, please.”
Brian and I had just returned home from a lovely family weekend in Pennsylvania, and we wanted something quick and easy for dinner. So we went to this restaurant nearby that we both love because it’s always empty on Sunday nights, the service is quick, and the food is always good.
Why I ordered a salad at a diner, I don’t know. Diners, to me, are for breakfast foods round-the-clock.
But I got the salad. A Greek salad, no olives, with steak on top.
An hour or so later, I crawled into bed and I did not feel well. I felt super nauseated, and it felt like a rock had formed in my stomach. Not long after that, I was in the bathroom, with, well, everything coming out of every end.
It was painful and unpleasant and continued through the entire night. At one point, I just laid down on the bathroom floor, so Brian brought me a pillow and blanket and I slept there for a little while.
It was a rough 36 hours around here. I’m feeling better today, but am still not 100 percent. Things are only coming out of one end now, and at a much slower pace, and I ate some plain macaroni last night. But ugh. Don’t get food poisoning. It’s the actual worst. I remember at one point screaming out, “This is worse than Crohn’s” in a very dramatic fashion. But really, it was bad. Don’t get it. Don’t eat salad.
Other than that, though, things have been good. It’s all pretty status quo around these parts. Here’s a little “life lately” update…
Sweating: Not a whole lot, unfortunately. I took some time off running when my IT-band felt like it was starting to act up, then I got back into it last week, only to then get this little bout of food poisoning. I did go for two short bike rides last week with Brian, which was fun, and even got my first-ever flat tire! How exciting!
Last Monday was a fun workout day, too: I kicked off the day (the Summer Solstice) at Lyons Den, where they hosted a two-hour class that was just 108 sun salutations. It was so hard and I felt like a noodle by the end, but I loved it. And at night, I took Dr. Jordan Metzl’s Ironstrength class on board the Intrepid. It was a very NYC experience. After that double dose of fitness, I was sore for five days straight.
I’m very eager to start marathon training next month. I hope I remember how to run for 3+ hours at a time…
Working: At Dance Spirit! Talk about a #TBT. (On a Wednesday. Whatever.) I’m filling in for the editor in chief for a bit while she’s on maternity leave. Question, do I bring back the bathroom mirror selfies while I am there? Probably, right? Good times.
It’s a little weird being back there — and working in the same office I worked in for several years — but it also feels like no time has passed. It’s been nice to mix up the routine a little.
Wearing: New custom kicks. I have a sneaker addiction.
Watching: Orange is the New Black. Thanks to the whole food poisoning thing, I was able to finish the entire season on Monday. Like everyone has said, it gets off to a slow start, but then OMG those last three episodes. Utterly heartbreaking and gutting and sad and tragic and ughhhhh. Can we talk about it? I just want to talk about it.
Writing: Always. Of late…
- 15 NYC Athletes and Routes to Follow, for Strava
- What to Know Before Getting a Sports Massage, for Fitness
- 8 Ways to Actually Unplug on Vacation, for Daily Burn
- The Best and Worst Exercises for Tight Hips, for Self
- 8 Yoga Poses to Relieve the Tension in Your Hips After a Crazy-Stressful Day, for Women’s Health (and I took the photos!)
- 5 Thoughts You’re Bound to Have During Your First Long Run, for Well+Good
- 18 Running Moments Worth Celebrating, for Fitness
Seeing: My family! I got a double dose of family time this past week, which was awesome. The fam stopped by last Sunday on their way to the Jersey Shore for a little vacation (without me! how rude!), and we got to show them around the new digs. Their response was basically, “Why did you ever live in Manhattan? This is way better.” I know, guys. I know. But I needed that time in my life.
Then, Brian, Ellie, and I road-tripped to Pennsylvania this weekend for a big Feller family party at my aunt’s house. We got to meet my new baby cousin (or second cousin? how does that work?), and we thought Ellie would love swimming in the pool with her puppy cousin, Ranger, but she was kind of not into it. She did, however, love having a big fenced-in backyard in which to roam around (and pee at her discretion).
Missing: Running! Stupid food-borne illness.
That’s all for now. Have a great day, friends!
WHAT’S NEW WITH YOU? CAN WE TALK ABOUT OITNB, PLEASE?