Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I had a lovely conversation with my BFF mikeannebailey this morning. We were talking about the inevitable stress of… https://t.co/58v804pz8U about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Holy crap, I don't think I blinked for 13 minutes straight watching this. Iconic, @JLo. https://t.co/OONRHOV6tq about 22 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- December 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 192: Adrianne Haslet, Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor
- November 27, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 191: The Great Turkey Trot of 2014
- November 20, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 190: Sarah True, Olympian & Ironman Triathlete
- November 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 189: Running Industry Hot Takes with Phoebe Wright
- November 13, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 188: Nikki Hiltz & Therese Haiss
I Don’t Know How To Relax On The Weekend
I am heartbroken that this weekend is almost over. It’s been a weekend I needed, though, filled with a tough race, some quality gym time, yummy food (Chinese for dinner, oh yes), a good amount of sleep and lots of Ali time.
After yesterday’s double morning session involving the UAE Healthy Kidney 10K and a spinning class, I was pretty exhausted.
When your legs are shot, you should sit in a movie theater for a few hours.
Which is exactly what I did.
I caught an afternoon showing of Bridesmaids, which was insanely hilarious. I recommend it wholeheartedly. I laughed, I shamelessly cried (more than once) and I left the theater feeling very happy.
Today started off with another ridiculous workout session. Let me explain.
I had a 9:30 am running date with Megan. The plan was to run two laps of the Bridle Path in Central Park, per Coach Cane’s training plan for me.
But when I woke up at 7:30 (I slept in! I slept in!), it was pouring. And I don’t mean kind of raining, I mean downpouring.
So Megan and I decided to reschedule for another time.
I got dressed in my gym clothes and headed downtown to take a spinning class. I was bitter the entire time though. I wanted to be outside running.
The spin class was fine — nothing exciting — and I did some weight lifting and foam rolling as well. Not bad for a Sunday morning.
But when I left the gym, the rain had stopped.
“I’m going running now,” I declared in my little head.
So I hopped on the uptown bus, dashed into my apartment before the weather could change and switched into a non-sweaty shirt. I was back out the door before you could say, “Ali you’re so dumb, obviously the rain isn’t done it’s just taking a break until you decide to go running.”
I ran 5.5 miles — in the rain.
Naturally it started back up again once I got to Central Park. Still, I’m glad I was able to stick with my training plan and happy I got the run in. A little water never hurt anyone, right?
Except, I guess, the Wicked Witch of the West…
I’m quickly falling in love with the soft, always-uncrowded Bridle Path in the park. It’s such a nice change from running on the road and really hard surfaces all the time.
The city was gloomy and foggy, but it’s always pretty.
On my way home, I stopped at the local hardware store.
Slowly but surely this apartment is coming together. Check out today’s handiwork:
After a wonderfully long shower (because my legs were filthy from bad puddle jumping aim)…
…a race registration (see you in October, DC!) and several snacks, I decided to go for a walk with no real plan.
Because naturally after my run the rain stopped — and never started back up again for the rest of the day. Awesome trick, Mother Nature. You’re a real gem.
I wandered around the Upper East Side.
I saw puppies.
I went shopping.
I bought new sheets. (I swear I end up at Bed, Bath & Beyond every single Sunday.)
And now I’m back home with a load of laundry going, a freshly-vacuumed and Swiffered floor and a list of bills that have all been paid in full.
Someday I will learn how to relax on the weekend.
Now who wants to come teach me the art of “sitting on the couch and not going insane?” I can’t seem to get the hang of it…
Coming up this week:
- A new training plan. I’m very excited to see what Coach Cane has in store for me.
- Girl’s night out. Tomorrow night. I’m pumped. Don’t expect a nighttime post from me.
- A fun workout event on Tuesday night. You’ll get the details on Wednesday morning, of course.
- A possible group run on Thursday night.
- The Brooklyn Half Marathon on Saturday.
Yeah. I’m running a Half Marathon in six days. I kind of keep forgetting about that. Crap.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!