Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I’ve always been in such awe of parents who finish their races and go right back to momming and dadding. It seemed… https://t.co/wIS9mufpqJ about 8 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Oh gosh, if your job is to be the PR agency representing Skechers, YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO SPELL SKECHERS! THERE IS… https://t.co/7LUVkG0Swd about 14 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- March 12, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 128: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Nicole Detling, Sports Psychologist
- March 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 127: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Rachel Nazarian, Dermatologist
- March 10, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 126: Ali & the Experts Week with Shannon McLay, Founder of The Financial Gym
- March 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 125: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Logan Levkoff, Sex & Relationships Educator
- March 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 124: Ali & the Experts Week with Brynn Fessette O'Neill, Physical Therapist
“You have to be OK with hearing no, but also not letting that be the last thing that you hear.’” — Tim Murphy
Tim and Jessica Murphy are the husband-and-wife team behind BibRave — the Yelp for running races. They’re the ultimate industry insiders, and on this episode, they share their journey to becoming entrepreneurs (before going all-in on BibRave, Jessica worked at LinkedIn, Nike, and Runner’s World, and Tim worked just about everywhere, doing a little of everything), and the challenges they’ve faced along the way. They open up about the moments — and emails! — that made them question what they were doing, and ultimately share what has made BibRave so successful. Plus, Tim (an ultra runner) and Jessica (a 20-time marathoner) talk about what they’ve learned from the BibRave community, and what people really love and really hate about races. This is a must-listen for aspiring entrepreneurs or anyone who has thought about going into business with a significant other.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $30 off your wireless headphone purchase!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Tim and Jessica share how they came up with the idea for BibRave, and when they realized it could be a viable business (5:00)
- What Tim and Jessica were doing before they became entrepreneurs, and how their careers prepared them to make them jump (11:45)
- Who’s the boss at BibRave? (18:20)
- How Tim and Jessica actually grew BibRave into a business, and the moments that made them question what they were doing (19:45)
- How Tim and Jessica let rejection and tough phone calls roll off their backs (24:30)
- What Tim and Jessica fight about, and whether they get sick of each other (26:00)
- What Tim and Jessica spend most of their time worrying about, and what’s next for their business (41:15)
- What Tim and Jessica say people love — and loathe — most about races (51:20)
- Tim and Jessica share their best advice for couples who choose to become business partners (57:40)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!
The first trimester of pregnancy flew by. And after that, the late-teen weeks also seemed to go by at rapid speeds. But now I feel like I’ve been in the early twenties of this pregnancy for 19 months. Everything is […]
“I said, ‘No way am I running Western States! That’s 100 miles!’” — Rob Krar, Western States Endurance Run winner 2014 Rob Krar is one of the kings of ultra running. He was a middle-distance runner through college, but then […]
During the past 23 weeks of this pregnancy, I have been very chill. Like surprisingly chill. I’ve felt laid-back and relaxed, I haven’t been stressing about little things like making sure the bed is made “perfectly,” and I have generally […]
“I was so petrified of failure for so long that I never ventured outside of things I knew I was good at.” —Amelia Boone Amelia Boone is a badass. By day, she’s a lawyer at Apple, and by very early […]
There was a lot of baby action this past week! I had my first-ever chiropractor appointment, I spent one night doubled over in pain for mysterious reasons, we had another appointment with the midwife and got to see baby dance […]
“I’ve been doing this for three years now and I’m still not used to it. I still get nervous. I worry, am I saying the right thing? Do they like me? Am I funny enough?” —Kayla Itsines With nearly 10 […]
Baby on the Run, Week 21! That rhymes! How exciting! It was during Week 21 that I decided I popped. I also decided this during Week 20. And Week 18. And definitely Week 16. And I was positive I had popped — […]
“You can make a career shift at any time. Because why not pursue something that you think would make you happy?” —Wesley Little Wesley Little is a licensed professional counselor specializing in couples therapy, and she’s here to answer all […]
When I woke up last Tuesday and my apps told me I was 20 weeks and therefore, theoretically, halfway through this pregnancy, I felt a little sad! I’m sure that will change in the late weeks when I’m truck-sized and […]