Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- November 20, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 190: Sarah True, Olympian & Ironman Triathlete
- November 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 189: Running Industry Hot Takes with Phoebe Wright
- November 13, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 188: Nikki Hiltz & Therese Haiss
- November 6, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 187: I'm a New York City Marathon Race Announcer!
- November 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 186: Why It's An Exciting Time for Women's Running LIVE Show
“We talk so much about the physical changes — but I wish we talked more about the emotional pieces in pregnancy.”
Welcome to the first episode in a 10-part Motherhood Mondays series on the Ali on the Run Show. The minute I found out I was pregnant in February 2018, my brain was consumed with all things pregnancy, childbirth, and Buy Buy Baby coupons. But once I gave birth, my world was rocked. I’d prepared for pregnancy, but had no idea what I was in for when it came to new motherhood. The breastfeeding, the hormones, the hair loss, the sleep deprivation — all things people had told me about, but that I don’t think I ever could have fully prepared for. And so I struggled — hard. I’ve been at this new mom thing for six months now, and while I’m no expert, many of the guests on this series are. This series is all about new motherhood: the struggles, the intensity, the big wins, and little victories. It’s a judgment-free, no-such-thing-as-TMI look at survival mode, thriving mode, and everything in between.
First up: Kristin Mallon, a board certified nurse midwife and founder of Integrative Obstetrics in Jersey City, NJ, who has delivered more than 4,000 babies in her 16 years of experience. Kristin is a mom of four and a four-time marathoner — and she was my midwife! I had an amazing pregnancy and delivery under Kristin’s care, and I’m thrilled to welcome her to the show.
Thank you to Sweaty Betty for sponsoring Motherhood Mondays on the Ali on the Run Show! Go to sweatybetty.com and use code ONTHERUN for 20 percent off your purchase.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Kristin became a midwife, and what the difference is between an OB/GYN and a midwife (3:30)
- Common misconceptions about midwifery (8:05)
- Who might want to consider using a midwife during pregnancy and delivery? (11:00)
- On first-time moms and pregnancy FAQs (13:55)
- Kristin’s top dos and don’ts during pregnancy (18:10)
- What Kristin wants to say to women trying to get pregnant after miscarriage or loss (22:20)
- How to advocate for yourself during pregnancy (25:00)
- All about “birth plans” and birth disappointment (31:30)
- What is a midwife’s role during the childbirth process? (41:00)
- On pooping and tearing (46:00)
- What women and their partners should understand about recovering from childbirth — physically and mentally (48:30)
- What Kristin’s four birth experiences were like (54:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!
“I’m in a position where I can help make decisions that put images out there of diverse people. That’s very special, and it’s an important job.” Rozalynn “Roz” Frazier is the senior health editor at Health magazine, where she’s worked for […]
“This community brought me back to life.” I was thrilled to share the Generation UCAN stage during Boston Marathon weekend alongside fellow running podcast hosts Lindsey Hein of I’ll Have Another, Tina Muir of Running For Real, and Carrie Tollefson […]
“If there could be a dining critic, a theater critic…why couldn’t there be a wellness critic?” —Melisse Gelula Melisse Gelula is the co-founder of the health and fitness mega-brand Well+Good. On this episode, she talks about starting — and growing […]
“I had never been driven by my own desire to get help. It was always other people pushing me to do it. Once I decided on my own and hit that rock bottom, everything got better very quickly.” —Kate Landau […]
“I wanted to hug my former self. I wanted to tell her, ‘It’s OK! It’s going to be OK. It won’t be easy, but you will survive this.’” A few months ago, I recorded a solo episode talking about navigating […]
Anyone who has known me for more than .02 seconds knows that I am one of those people. My dog, Ellie, is my child. She’s my baby. My first-born. She doesn’t go to “doggy daycare” — we call it “school.” And […]
“Numbers don’t mean anything when it comes to success.” —Sadie Lincoln Sadie Lincoln is the co-founder and CEO of Barre3, the mega-popular boutique fitness brand that has more than 130 studios in the United States. On this episode, Sadie talks […]
“Start stuff. If you believe in something, just start it.” —Mary Wittenberg It was an honor to host this live show at New York Road Runners the day before the United Airlines NYC Half. I was joined by four exemplary […]
I ran a race! A half marathon! And I loved it! And I’m a little sore today! And I love it! That runner’s high, baby. Two days later, and I’m still feeling happy and yeah…sore. My quads and hamstrings, mostly. […]