Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- November 14, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 106: I Had a Baby!
- November 7, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 105: Emily Abbate, Fitness Writer & Host of the Hurdle Podcast
- October 31, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 104: Stephanie Bruce
- October 30, 2018 by AliPregnancy + Baby Q&A
- October 25, 2018 by AliAnnie’s Birth Story
“I was so petrified of failure for so long that I never ventured outside of things I knew I was good at.” —Amelia Boone
Amelia Boone is a badass. By day, she’s a lawyer at Apple, and by very early morning, she’s a four-time world champion obstacle racer and self-proclaimed “budding ultra runner.” Amelia lives in San Jose, CA, and is a glutton for punishment — hence her race distance of choice being “long.” On this episode, Amelia — who you may recognize as last month’s Runner’s World cover star — talks about why she’s intrigued by failure, why she loves grueling races, and how she gained her mental strength. She reflects on her go at the 2018 Barkley Marathons, and opens up about the pressure to win.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $30 off your wireless headphone purchase!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Why the brutality of obstacle races and ultramarathons appeals to Amelia, and why she’s intrigued by fear (2:15)
- How Amelia got into obstacle course racing (5:00)
- Amelia reflects on her attempt at completing the 2018 Barkley Marathons (11:15)
- What it’s like to become the World’s Toughest Mudder (21:15)
- What Amelia’s family thinks of her crazy endurance adventures, and how she became a well-known figure in the sports world (27:00)
- What a day in the life looks like for Amelia (30:30)
- Amelia shares her take on rest days (35:00)
- What the pressure to keep winning is like (38:40)
- How Amelia found ultra running (41:00)
- Amelia shares her best advice for first-time obstacle racers and ultra runners (48:50)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!
There was a lot of baby action this past week! I had my first-ever chiropractor appointment, I spent one night doubled over in pain for mysterious reasons, we had another appointment with the midwife and got to see baby dance […]
“I’ve been doing this for three years now and I’m still not used to it. I still get nervous. I worry, am I saying the right thing? Do they like me? Am I funny enough?” —Kayla Itsines With nearly 10 […]
Baby on the Run, Week 21! That rhymes! How exciting! It was during Week 21 that I decided I popped. I also decided this during Week 20. And Week 18. And definitely Week 16. And I was positive I had popped — […]
“You can make a career shift at any time. Because why not pursue something that you think would make you happy?” —Wesley Little Wesley Little is a licensed professional counselor specializing in couples therapy, and she’s here to answer all […]
When I woke up last Tuesday and my apps told me I was 20 weeks and therefore, theoretically, halfway through this pregnancy, I felt a little sad! I’m sure that will change in the late weeks when I’m truck-sized and […]
I ran one of my favorite races this weekend! The NYRR New York Mini 10K is an all-women’s race that pretty much has it all: an inspiring professional field (Des! Molly! Sarah!), thousands of happy female runners lined up behind […]
“In order to find out what you can do, you have to show up. Give yourself a chance and see what happens.” —Desiree Linden When I launched the Ali on the Run Show in February 2017, I knew right away I wanted […]
When I launched the Ali on the Run Show in February 2017, I knew right away I wanted to eventually host live events. I love sharing conversations on the show every week, but human, in-real-life connection is so powerful. I wanted […]
On this bonus episode, Brian Cristiano, founder and CEO of BOLD Worldwide (and my husband), tests out a new round of Sprint to the Finish questions! Click here to listen to Brian on Episode 75 of the Ali on the […]