- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
It’s been getting pretty heavy up in here for, oh, most of 2013.
So today, how about a break from that? Because frankly, I’m tired of writing about my feelings and about what I do behind closed doors in the bathroom.
Instead of a novel about how I appear to be in full-on flare-up mode again, or about how I feel wildly unprepared in any way to attempt to run the New York City Marathon in 18 days…
…I’ll instead provide you with 20 Facts You Never Knew About Me. In case that sort of thing interests you.
1. I am completely disgusted and horrified by baby powder and bar soap. The smell of baby powder makes me nauseous and I don’t know what the deal is with bar soap, but I’m repulsed by it. I am also creeped out by rubber gloves.
2. My favorite game to play with people, especially people I’ve just met, is “If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?” My answer is usually macaroni and cheese. Sometimes I go with pizza. Other times I’m in a chocolate souffle kinda mood.
3. Beyond that, I am obsessed with learning peoples’ life stories. I find it fascinating to learn how people got to where they are today.
4. Reading the phrase “holy yum” is enough to make me go mad.
5. Every time I spell “entrepreneurial” correctly on the first try, I feel a surge of pride. And I don’t mean to brag (yes, I do, actually), but I always get this one right.
6. In sixth grade, I made it to the state-level spelling bee in New Hampshire, which was obviously a huge deal. I was the second person called up to spell a word, and thus became the first person of the entire bee to be eliminated.
To this day, my deepest-darkest secret is the word I spelled incorrectly to get the boot. Becky Barker, this secret goes to the grave.
7. A not-so-secret fact about me is that I was a store model for Limited Too at the Steeplegate Mall in Concord, NH.
My BFF Becky and I did it together — because we did everything together — and we liked to stand really still in the windows, like mannequins, and then jump out at people and try to scare them as they walked by. I’ve always been very mature.
8. One of my greatest pet peeves is people who question elevators. Like when you’re going down, and it stops at a certain floor, and the person waiting on that floor looks at all the people packed on the elevator and asks, “Is this going down?” Hey lady, see the giant flashing green neon arrow pointing down that lit up when the elevator stopped for you? Yup, a down arrow means down. Idiots. Elevators are not difficult. Get on, face the door and be quiet.
9. I love spoilers. I don’t like suspense. I always read the back page of magazines first.
I sometimes read show recaps before I watch the actual episode, too. Go ahead and hate me for this one (Brian is furious about it): I watched three episodes of “Breaking Bad,” then read this, then watched the series finale live, and now I’m continuing to get through the show from the beginning. I like knowing how things are going to turn out so I’m not so stressed during every shootout.
10. I have never colored my hair or cut it any cool way. And yet sometimes I spend hours giving myself online makeovers, “just to see.”
11. Babies with pierced ears. No.
12. I can’t stand those “said no one ever” quotes people are always posting on Facebook. Maybe people do regret their workouts sometimes. I once went running on what I knew was a busted shin-thing, and I regretted that run, because the pain was so much worse afterward.
13. I usually prefer the cake to the frosting and the cookie to the cream.
14. The word “epic” makes me cringe. Because if everything is epic, then nothing is epic.
15. I love reckless cab drivers. Hit 60 mph going up Madison Avenue to get me home a few minutes earlier, and you’ve just boosted your tip by at least $2. The number of red lights you run is directly proportional to the size of your tip. Go loco, cabbie. You rock. Just don’t hit a cyclist, please.
16. I am not someone who looks like any celebrity, in my opinion. One time, a cab driver told me I looked like a hybrid of Jodie Foster and Dakota Fanning. A few people last year also told me I looked like some chick from “The Bachelor.”
17. I have never, and will never, watch “The Bachelor.”
18. The TV characters I relate to most are Claire Dunphy from “Modern Family” and Monica from “Friends.” They’re both really uptight. How charming.
19. I prefer sitting on the floor. As much as I love my new couch, I still find myself eating most of my meals on the comfort of my apartment’s wooden floor.
20. If I say, “I’m fine,” I’m definitely not fine.
NOW, SINCE I SAID IT’S MY FAVORITE GAME, YOU HAVE TO PLAY, TOO: If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Remember Thankful Things Thursday?! No? I know, it’s been a while (since April, to be exact). Probably because for the solid majority of this year, I felt thankful for very little. I remember one day, during my gluten-free, dairy-free, “I […]
Having not posted in two weeks indicates a multitude of things: I’m busy. I just haven’t had time to sit down and write anything. I have too much to say. It’s hard to pick back up with something after you’ve […]
…because why use words when numbers will suffice? 10: Times I swore I was going to clean the apartment this weekend. 0: Things in the apartment that got cleaned. 5: Times I saw Buzunesh Deba, my favorite favorite favorite elite […]
I felt it so strongly this weekend. There was a chill in the air. Everything felt crisp. I could have worn shorts and a tank top or zebra-tiger sweatpants and a zip-up, and either way I would have been comfortable. […]
Today marks my 6-year anniversary at Dance Spirit. I’ll always remember the day I started, because I was living in Connecticut at the time and my mom didn’t like the idea of me commuting into the city on September 10 […]
Hi, I’ve missed youuuuuu! Really, I have. I’m here today to talk about this weird place I’m in right now — a place I’m not at all comfortable being, and not in that edgy “push yourself out of your comfort […]
Hi! I’m happy to report that these days I’m operating at something like an 87% “normal health” rate. I wake up in the morning and my stomach says, “I’m going to make this rough on you.” But eventually, usually after […]
All “I Heart Sweat” shirts have been marked down. Long-sleeved shirts are now $35. Short-sleeved shirts are going for $25. Whatever’s left on the website is what I have left. If you see the size you want in the drop-down […]
Returning to running after seven months of being sick and sedentary hasn’t been easy. There have been some amazing moments, absolutely. But it’s so hard. Running is hard. My body is recovering, but it’s still weak and tired — not […]