Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
- June 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 255: Ramblings on the Run with Ali & Matt
- June 24, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 254: Samia Akbar, Fastest U.S.-Born Black Female Marathoner
- June 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 253: On the Job with Steph Blozy, Owner of Fleet Feet Sports West Hartford
“Expectations obviously are higher now. But I put them on myself.” —Allie Kieffer
When Allie Kieffer was on Episode 46 of the Ali on the Run Show last November, she was fresh off a fifth-place finish at the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon. Her 2:29 finish was triumphant: She was this unknown, unsponsored runner from Buffalo, NY, who happened to be the first American woman to finish behind winner Shalane Flanagan. Now, Allie is no longer unknown or unsponsored. She signed with Oiselle soon after NYC, trained in Kenya for seven weeks, and recently moved to Boulder, CO, where she’s gearing up to return to the New York City Marathon.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring What’s New With You Week on the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $55 off your wireless headphone bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Allie reflects on the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon and how it impacted her career (2:15)
- Allie’s best advice for moving past a bad race or workout (6:05)
- How Allie became a sponsored runner, thanks to Oiselle, what the signing process entailed, and what her sponsorship agreement looks like (7:20)
- Whether becoming a well-known, in-the-public-eye runner after the 2017 NYC Marathon was stressful or motivating for Allie (13:40)
- What training in Kenya was like — and how Allie ended up there in the first place (15:30)
- How Allie coped emotionally after going from being in the best shape of her life to having a stress fracture and being totally sidelined (22:10)
- Why Allie traded Buffalo for Boulder (28:00)
- Allie opens up about how she became an advocate for body positivity, and her relationship with her body and race times (31:15)
- What’s next for Allie Kieffer (37:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!
“I felt relieved. I knew mentally and physically, I was not ready to be on that starting line.” —Michele Gonzalez The last time Michele Gonzalez (AKA “NYC Running Mama”) was on the show, she was gearing up to run the […]
“I don’t think I’ll ever retire. If something motivates me, I want to go for it.” —Kara Goucher Kara Goucher is back on the Ali on the Run Show, talking about her new book, Strong, how keeping a confidence journal changed her […]
The last week of the second trimester! I barely know what day it is right now. Life has been so crazy lately, and we moved this week, so I don’t really know. But here’s how the last week of the […]
“I now live in a barn with an elderly schnauzer, surrounded by goats.” —Emily Halnon Emily Halnon was the very first guest on the Ali on the Run Show, and now she’s back to kick off What’s New With You […]
“It’s never too late to do what you wanted to do growing up. But it’s not going to come easy, and no one’s going to hand it to you.” —Katie Burke Katie Burke is the Chief People Officer at HubSpot, […]
Before I was pregnant, I remember thinking it was crazy or weird that women always referenced their pregnancy progress in weeks. How did they always know exactly what week they were in? Wasn’t it hard to keep track? And why […]
“I had no idea there was a camera on me. But yes, I have seen all the memes.” — Ryan Linden If Ryan Linden’s last name sounds familiar, that’s because yes, he is married to 2018 Boston Marathon champion Desiree […]
Week 25 was amazing for two big reasons: the giraffe and the movement. First, the giraffe. The long story is here. And when that little rocking giraffe arrived at our apartment in Brian’s arms, I thought I was going to […]
Remember five days ago when Instagram decided to enable the “Questions” feature on Instagram Stories? That was fun! At least for a few minutes, right? I got so many good questions, but fun fact about me (and, I imagine, many […]