Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- February 19, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 209: Catching Up with Andrea Barber
- February 17, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Live in Atlanta + Runners to Watch at the Olympic Marathon Trials
- February 13, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 208: Love on the Run Week with Kara & Adam Goucher
- February 12, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 207: Love on the Run Week with Gwen Jorgensen & Pat Lemieux
- February 11, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 206: Love on the Run Week with Steph & Ben Bruce
“It’s OK to struggle, but it’s not OK to give up.” —Gabe Grunewald
Gabriele “Gabe” Grunewald is a professional middle-distance runner and four-time rare cancer survivor from Minneapolis, MN. Gabe was first diagnosed with Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma when she was in college and undoubtedly in the best shape of her life. Instead of finishing her college running career on a high note — or, better yet, a podium — Gabe was faced with a difficult and scary diagnosis. She’s undergone several surgeries, including having more than half of her liver removed after the third time the cancer came back. But Gabe keeps fighting, smiling, and running. On this episode, she talks about the difference between fighting and giving up, and explains what it means to be “brave like Gabe.” She also talks about her current project: training Fixer Upper star Chip Gaines for his first marathon!
This episode is brought to you by Strava, the leading social network for athletes. Click here to join today, then enter for your chance to win a 2018 TCS New York City Marathon entry and a $500 travel stipend!
What you’ll get in this episode:
- How Gabe became a professional runner — and why that was never the plan (3:00)
- Gabe’s first cancer diagnosis (4:45)
- Gabe’s third — and scariest — cancer diagnosis, and the hug that saved her life (11:00)
- How Gabe handled each diagnosis emotionally (16:25)
- The aftermath of Gabe’s liver surgery, followed by her fourth diagnosis (18:25)
- Gabe explains her current immunotherapy treatment plan (20:50)
- How cancer has changed Gabe’s relationship with running (23:05)
- How Gabe maintains her optimistic outlook even after four cancer diagnoses (25:55)
- How the running community has supported Gabe throughout her health struggles (27:45)
- The difference between fighting and giving up (28:35)
- How Gabe’s diagnoses and treatment will affect her fertility and hopes for a family (32:30)
- What it means to be #bravelikegabe (37:15)
- What it’s like training Fixer Upper star Chip Gaines for his first marathon! (40:55)
- Chip’s time goal for his debut marathon (47:50)
- Introducing the Brave Like Gabe Foundation (48:40)
What we mention on this episode:
Brave Like Gabe Foundation: bravelikegabe.org — coming soon!
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!
Ali on the Run Show Episode 61: Dr. Meggie Q&A Part I: Egg Freezing, Periods, Hormones, & Birth Control
“KonMari your life, KonMari your uterus.” —Meggie Smith Dr. Meggie is back! Meggie Smith made her Ali on the Run Show debut last year, when she was wrapping up her OB/GYN residency at the NYU Langone Medical Center in New […]
“The narrative that I couldn’t do things never entered my life.” Emma Coburn is a professional middle-distance runner for New Balance. She’s a world champion in the steeplechase, and competed at both the 2012 and 2016 Olympic games. On this […]
Hello hello hello! It’s been a while since I’ve popped in here with an actual post and life update. I miss doing these! (Quick, someone add a few hours to the day and I’ll start blogging daily again!) I have […]
Today, the Ali on the Run Show turns ONE! I so distinctly remember February 11, 2017. It was one of the best days of my entire year. It was a chilly-but-not-too-chilly Saturday, and I was up early to officially get […]
“When you show up with this army, this incredible mob of people around you who are willing to believe in you and tell you that you can do it… Who the hell are you to disagree?” Emily Saul is the […]
“It was this weird moment of knowing I was on the precipice of my entire life being about to change. And that was terrifying. The moment I had been the most scared of my entire life was about to come, […]
“I went on this amazing trip, and I thought everything would change. But your problems don’t just go away because you run away. They will follow you anywhere until you fix them.” This episode got a little heavy. Last Friday […]
The Ali on the Run Show Episode 56 Guest: Susan Pass Listen on iTunes I SoundCloud I Overcast I Stitcher I Google Play “You should talk more and smile. It’s my favorite.” Susan Pass — best known on the internet as “Susan Runs” and as the blogger behind “Nurse […]
Back in August, my friend Erin (“Feeney,” from this point on — she’s the one I’m always hugging at finish lines) sent an email to a handful of friends, myself included. Subject: Your JetBlue Vacations Itinerary And then, in just […]