Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- August 6, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 269: Ali & the Experts with Laura Parrott, Career Coach
- August 5, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 268: Jenny Simpson
- July 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 267: Catching Up with Emily Halnon
- July 26, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 266: On the Record with Mario Fraioli, Host of The Morning Shakeout
- July 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 265: Catching Up with Chris Heuisler
Ali on the Run Show Episode 254: Samia Akbar, Fastest U.S.-Born Black Female Marathoner
“He made an assumption that I didn’t speak English and that’s why he didn’t speak to me. I remember feeling so hurt. Things like that happened to me all the time, being the first and only to do a lot of these distance events on the road racing circuit. And I feel like it was so hurtful. We are the epitome of the American Dream.”
A few weeks ago, Peyton Thomas was on the Ali on the Run Show. We talked about Peyton being the fourth-fastest U.S.-born Black female marathoner, which prompted the question: Who’s the fastest? That person is Samia Akbar. In 2006, Samia ran a 2:34 at the New York City Marathon, finishing 12th and earning the aforementioned title, which still stands. On this episode, Samia shares her running story, including how her dad instilled in her a love for running, how she went to American University on a full running scholarship, and how she spent seven years as a professional runner sponsored by Reebok. Today, Samia lives in Virginia and is a Global Marketing Manager for New Balance.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for 15% off all wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Samia explains why she lives in Virginia but works in Boston (3:40)
- How Samia became a runner (9:00)
- On being competitive (21:35)
- What it means to “take up space,” and how Samia learned to do that (22:45)
- How Samia decided to become a professional runner (33:50)
- Why Samia decided to run a marathon (45:20)
- On being the fastest U.S.-born Black female marathoner (52:30)
What we mention on this episode:
“A Conversation with Samia Akbar” via Fast Women
“The Undeniable Power of Sport” International Women’s Day panel via Hurdle podcast
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!