Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 2, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 258: Feel-Good Friday with Claudia Thompson, President of Claudia Connects
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
- June 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 255: Ramblings on the Run with Ali & Matt
- June 24, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 254: Samia Akbar, Fastest U.S.-Born Black Female Marathoner
Ali on the Run Show Episode 247: Mary Kate Shea, John Hancock Senior Director of Endurance Marketing & 23-Time Boston Marathon Finisher
“There is nothing we will not do for this team.”
Mary Kate Shea — or “MK,” as she’s known to the fastest marathoners in the world — is the senior director of endurance marketing for John Hancock, the title sponsor of the Boston Marathon. Every year, it’s Mary Kate’s job to woo, recruit, and get the best distance runners to come run the historic Boston Marathon. On this episode — which we recorded at the beginning of May, before the 2020 race had been officially canceled — Mary Kate talks about how, exactly, she puts together the 50-person pro field every year. She talks about the first thing she said to Desiree Linden after Des won the 2018 race, explains what she says is the most stressful part of her job and her entire year, and shares lots of stories about everyone’s favorite elites. But don’t think Mary Kate is just watching this race from the media center: She says the fastest way from Hopkinton back to Boston is by foot, which is why, after she checks the elites in and gets them on their way, she joins the second wave of runners and runs the marathon herself. MK is a 23-time Boston Marathon finisher, she’s run ultramarathons including 100-milers, and she’s a mom of four. Superwoman, indeed.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for 15% off all wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What Marathon Monday is like every year for Mary Kate (8:00)
- MK’s “Day in the Life” on Marathon Monday (15:40)
- What makes Marathon Monday a success? (31:10)
- How the recruiting process works (37:00)
- Which runners are on MK’s “Boston wish list?” (44:40)
- What it means to be a “technical expert” at major marathons (49:55)
- How MK got her job (51:40)
Follow Mary Kate:
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!