Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 267: Catching Up with Emily Halnon
- July 26, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 266: On the Record with Mario Fraioli, Host of The Morning Shakeout
- July 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 265: Catching Up with Chris Heuisler
- July 19, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 264: On the Record with Dana Giordano, Host of More Than Running
- July 15, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 263: Hawi Keflezighi, Founder & CEO of HAWI Management
Ali on the Run Show Episode 239: Dinée Dorame, Citizen of the Navajo Nation
“I was at the cross-section of a couple different identities that people didn’t quite understand.”
Dinée Dorame is a citizen of the Navajo Nation, Water’s Edge clan. She’s a lifelong runner who grew up in Albuquerque, NM, moved to the east coast to attend and later work in admissions at Yale University, and has since returned to Albuquerque, where she is the Associate Director of College Horizons. On this episode, Dinée talks passionately about the role of running in Native culture, and the role her culture plays in her life on and off the run. She talks about setbacks she’s experienced related to Accessory Navicular Syndrome, and how she has dealt with chronic pain, and offers advice for how and why runners can and should better connect with the land around them.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Was Dinée’s plan always to return home to New Mexico after attending Yale? (4:30)
- What it was like growing up as a Native girl in Albuquerque, NM (12:00)
- Why Dinée says running “is like medicine” for many indigenous people (24:30)
- What Dinée says are some of the most common misperceptions of Native people today (41:15)
What we mention on this episode:
Running: A Love Story, by Jen A. Miller
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!