Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 267: Catching Up with Emily Halnon
- July 26, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 266: On the Record with Mario Fraioli, Host of The Morning Shakeout
- July 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 265: Catching Up with Chris Heuisler
- July 19, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 264: On the Record with Dana Giordano, Host of More Than Running
- July 15, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 263: Hawi Keflezighi, Founder & CEO of HAWI Management
Ali on the Run Show Episode 231: Jay Holder, Director of Marketing & Communications at Atlanta Track Club
“Find a way to get people hooked on running. That’s what we need.”
Jay Holder just might love running — the sport itself, plus every single member of the running community — more than any guy I know. Jay is the Director of Marketing & Communications at Atlanta Track Club, which means this week, we’re getting a behind-the-scenes look at what it took to host the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials! Jay talks about the bidding process leading up to the Trials, and shares what, exactly, Atlanta did to show USA Track & Field that they were worthy of hosting one of the greatest weekends in American distance racing. (It involved a 90-page proposal and plan!) Jay, a dad of two, shares stories from the course — which he ran several dozen times before race weekend — and explains what he says is “the best part of the job.” We look back reminiscing about the Trials weekend, and look forward, with some trepidation: The Atlanta Track Club also hosts the Peachtree Road Race, which is the largest 10K in the world that takes place every year on the Fourth of July.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for 15% off wireless headphones. (My favorite is the Aeropex!)
What you’ll get on this episode:
- A bit of background on Jay’s professional career, and what brought him to Atlanta Track Club (6:55)
- The bidding process behind the Olympic Trials, and how Atlanta won the hosting gig (10:00)
- What Jay says is the best part of his job (21:50)
- What race weekend looked like for Jay (28:50)
- What does the current state of the world mean for the 2020 Peachtree Road Race?
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!