Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- May 27, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 242: Shalane Flanagan
- May 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 241: On the Job with JoMarie Flores, Funeral Director
- May 21, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 240: Lee Glandorf, Tracksmith Head of Communications
- May 20, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 239: Dinée Dorame, Citizen of the Navajo Nation
- May 13, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 238: Sasha Wolff, Founder of Still I Run
Ali on the Run Show Episode 226: Caitlyn Tateishi, 2:43 Marathoner
“Without races on the schedule, you’re figuring out why you run in the first place. I think this is a really good reminder that we do it because we love it — not because we’re constantly chasing a goal or trying to prove something.”
Caitlyn Tateishi has run — long, and fast — all over the world. On this episode, the 2:43 marathoner talks about growing up in Hawaii and discovering life on the run, and going on to run an unofficial ultramarathon during her time in the Peace Corps in Africa. Caitlyn explains why she took a long break from running, and talks about rediscovering her passion for the sport. Plus, she breaks down how, exactly, she shaved 50 minutes off her marathon time, going from wanting to qualify for the Boston Marathon to running at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials earlier this year. It’s a powerful, relatable conversation about identifying as a runner, dealing with failure, and getting to that “I belong” moment.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for 15% off wireless headphones. (My favorite is the Aeropex!)
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Caitlyn is feeling physically and emotionally since running the Trials (3:00)
- Recapping Caitlyn’s race in Atlanta (7:00)
- How Caitlyn found running (11:00)
- Why Caitlyn joined the Peace Corps, and what it was like living and running in tK (23:00)
- Why Caitlyn decided to start training for marathons — and her road to an OTQ (29:15)
What we mention on this episode:
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!