Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- It’s my first time being away from Annie, and I’m totally fine! No, really. I am actually totally fine! I miss her… https://t.co/M7OAKfdEUk 07:33:16 PM January 24, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This is exactly what I needed to watch this morning. (And every morning.) @BillyYang https://t.co/UOUYs5AV1w 09:13:16 AM January 24, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My vision: me, standing all cute in front of the NYC skyline, holding big, shiny, hot pink balloons spelling out “2… https://t.co/OvFMUZlzJ5 06:16:58 PM January 23, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- January 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 200: Starla Garcia, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- January 17, 2020 by AliThe 10 Best Parts of My Week
- January 15, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 199: My 2020 Visions, Plans, Hopes, & Dreams
- January 14, 2020 by AliAnnie Update: 15 Months
- January 10, 2020 by AliThis Week
Ali on the Run Show Episode 197: Aisha Praught Leer
“Most people would describe me as kind and warm. But I have this other part of my personality: I am insatiably competitive.”
Aisha Praught Leer is a professional middle-distance runner for Under Armour, a national record holder in the 5000 meters, a 2016 Olympian (she competed in the 3000-meter steeplechase), and a gold medal winner at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. On this episode, Aisha talks about her progression as a professional athlete, her decision to race for and represent Jamaica (she’s a Jamaican-American dual citizen), and her dedication for giving back and helping inspire the next generation of runners. She talks about what it’s like being married to fellow professional runner Will Leer, and opens up about her decision to leave Eugene, OR, where she trained with the Oregon Track Club Elite, and move to Colorado to train alongside Emma Coburn, under the direction of coach Joe Bosshard. She also shares her thoughts on imposter syndrome, working with a sports psychologist, and building mental strength.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Why do you do what you do? (4:30)
- On building mental and physical strength as a professional athlete (14:00)
- On competitiveness (23:30)
- What it’s actually like working with a sports psychologist (25:30)
- Why Aisha left Oregon Track Club to train with Joe Bosshard and Emma Coburn in Colorado (30:00)
- Aisha’s decision to switch from the steeplechase to the 1500m (42:00)
- Aisha’s decision to race for Jamaica (49:00)
- All about drug testing (54:50)
- How Aisha met now-husband Will Leer (1:03:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!