Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- When you snap a sweet series of sun-kissed selfies — and then realize you’re still wearing a zit sticker between yo… https://t.co/kq0DbgYd51 07:52:50 PM December 12, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Another day, another new episode of the Ali on the Run Show! Loved talking with @sarahgrooms about her 13 years wit… https://t.co/ZdFwt4PHdM 07:43:47 AM December 12, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- December 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 194: Sarah Grooms, Rockette Turned Marathoner
- December 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 193: Jenny & Judi Donnelly BONUS EPISODE!
- December 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 192: Adrianne Haslet, Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor
- November 27, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 191: The Great Turkey Trot of 2014
- November 20, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 190: Sarah True, Olympian & Ironman Triathlete
Ali on the Run Show Episode 185: Janelle Hartman, Final Finisher of the 2018 New York City Marathon
“Everyone talks about the roar on First Avenue. Mine was trying to dodge the roar of the cleaning trucks!”
Last year, 55-year-old Janelle Hartman became a marathoner. After running more than 100 races and volunteering at just as many, Janelle decided that 2018 was the year she would run the TCS New York City Marathon. And on this episode, she talks about what it’s like to be the very last finisher of the marathon: Janelle was the final finisher at the 2018 New York City Marathon. She paints a picture about what it was like running the marathon in the dark, being moved onto the city sidewalks, without that famous roar of screaming fans on First Avenue. And she talks about why runners shouldn’t be afraid of coming in last, and why it should be celebrated. She opens up about the times in her own life when she let her fears, worries, and concerns hold her back from pursuing her dreams, and shares what it’s like on the other side of success. When Janelle isn’t running or volunteering, she works as a psychotherapist in a nursing home.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How it felt to be the final finisher of the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon (4:20)
- Janelle recaps her 2018 race (7:10)
- Janelle’s message to runners who don’t want to sign up for races because they’re “afraid of coming in last” (20:30)
- On receiving the 2018 Joe Kleinerman Award from New York Road Runners (27:00)
- Janelle talks about how she started running at 49, her inspiration, and her decision to run a marathon at 55 (31:40)
- What does Janelle wish more runners understood about what it takes to make a race happen? (50:00)
- Janelle talks about her career in psychiatry (54:00)
What we mention on this episode:
- Peter Ciaccia on Episode 96 of the Ali on the Run Show
- Project Finish
- The Galloway Method
- Run, Fat Boy, Run
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!