Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- When you snap a sweet series of sun-kissed selfies — and then realize you’re still wearing a zit sticker between yo… https://t.co/kq0DbgYd51 07:52:50 PM December 12, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Another day, another new episode of the Ali on the Run Show! Loved talking with @sarahgrooms about her 13 years wit… https://t.co/ZdFwt4PHdM 07:43:47 AM December 12, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- December 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 194: Sarah Grooms, Rockette Turned Marathoner
- December 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 193: Jenny & Judi Donnelly BONUS EPISODE!
- December 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 192: Adrianne Haslet, Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor
- November 27, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 191: The Great Turkey Trot of 2014
- November 20, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 190: Sarah True, Olympian & Ironman Triathlete
Ali on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
“Gabe was all about trying her best, whereas I was more about striving for perfection. And thankfully, I had Gabe in my life to show me what that really meant — trying your best — and why that was so much better than striving for perfection.”
Ladia Albertson-Junkans is a collegiate cross-country runner turned ultramarathoner. Most recently, Ladia ran the Western States 100, and followed that up by running the Fastest Known Time (FKT) on the Timberline Trail around Mount Hood. Ladia is also well known in the running community as Gabe Grunewald’s best friend. On this poignant episode, Ladia beautifully shares stories about Gabe, who passed away this summer. She talks about their friendship, including the sweet story of how they met, and opens up about being by Gabe’s side during her final days. She talks about what it means to be brave, the role running played in her grieving process, and about learning how to say goodbye. Ladia also talks about how important it was to Gabe to make sure the Brave Like Gabe Foundation kept running and inspiring fellow cancer patients.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- On running the Fastest Known Time on the Timberline Trail around Mount Hood, including how Ladia felt Gabe’s presence before and during the run (6:00)
- On running Western States in June (19:40)
- When does Ladia fit running into her busy life? (26:20)
- How Ladia and Gabe met, and why Gabe wouldn’t let Ladia quit running after college (27:30)
- Ladia opens up about what Gabe’s last few weeks were like, and shares a few stories about Gabe that speak to her remarkable character (33:45)
- Ladia talks about that visit from Chip and Joanna Gaines (41:30)
- Did Gabe know the impact she had on the world? (46:00)
- What does it mean to live #BraveLikeGabe? (55:30)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!