Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- November 20, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 190: Sarah True, Olympian & Ironman Triathlete
- November 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 189: Running Industry Hot Takes with Phoebe Wright
- November 13, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 188: Nikki Hiltz & Therese Haiss
- November 6, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 187: I'm a New York City Marathon Race Announcer!
- November 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 186: Why It's An Exciting Time for Women's Running LIVE Show
Ali on the Run Show Episode 175: You Can Run a Marathon with Meb Keflezighi
“The marathon is a metaphor for life. It’s about patience, and you get out of it what you put in it.”
This is a very special episode of the You Can Run a Marathon series, because it was recorded live in front of a fantastic audience at Finish Line Physical Therapy in New York City. Meb Keflezighi is the only person to ever win the New York City Marathon, Boston Marathon, and Olympic silver medal. Runner’s World named him The Most Influential Person in Running, and he’s the author of several books, including Meb for Mortals and 26 Marathons. On this episode, Meb reflects on his career on the run, talks about what he’s learned about life and running and how they intersect, and shares whether there’s any chance we might see him at the start line of the 2020 Olympic Marathon Trials in February. He also shares the story of getting a congratulatory phone call from President Obama after winning the 2014 Boston Marathon, and dining with the Obamas a few weeks later.
Thank you to Generation UCAN for sponsoring the You Can Run a Marathon series on the Ali on the Run Show! Click here and use code ONTHERUN for 20 percent off your order, plus free shipping. (First-time buyers, check out the UCAN Run Starter Pack here, and get 50 percent off.)
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What does it mean to Meb to “run to win?” And how does he keep going when the race is getting tough? (5:30)
- Meb’s New York City Marathon-specific advice (13:25)
- What are the keys to being able to run for life? (17:50)
- Why the 2013 New York City Marathon was so special for local runner Mike Cassidy, who got to finish with Meb (22:00)
- Why the marathon is a metaphor for life (26:20)
- All about that post-Boston-win call from President Obama (28:30)
- Why the marathon for Meb? (35:20)
- On pre-race nerves and anxiety, mental training, and visualization (46:10)
- What race week looks like for Meb (53:30)
- Is there any chance we might see Meb at the 2020 Olympic Marathon Trials?! (55:30)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!