Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- This picture is from the summer of 2013. I was SO sick that summer. It was the hardest summer of my life. My Crohn’… https://t.co/LhMEKhc3WX 08:06:56 PM September 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Changing it up a bit for this week's episode, sharing a behind-the-scenes peek at what goes into making the Ali on… https://t.co/XnEiD3vD0y 06:56:31 AM September 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- September 18, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 174: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Ali on the Run Show
- September 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 173: You Can Run a Marathon with Dawn Grunnagle
- September 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 172: Amanda Nurse, Elite Marathoner for adidas
- September 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 171: You Can Run a Marathon with Molly Bookmyer
- September 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 170: LIVE at NYRR RunnerCon with Nikki Hiltz & Allie Ostrander
Ali on the Run Show Episode 172: Amanda Nurse, Elite Marathoner for adidas
“We decided, ‘OK, I’m gonna run in the Trials and then we’ll hopefully get pregnant right away, and then I’ll maybe even be able to run a fall marathon the next year!’ And…it didn’t happen like that.”
You probably know Amanda Nurse by her Instagram moniker: Amanda Runs Boston. And she sure does. Amanda is a 20-time marathoner and two-time Olympic Trials qualifier in the marathon. She’s a clinical social worker turned adidas-sponsored runner and coach who has taken her marathon time from 3:26 to a very impressive 2:40. On this episode, Amanda talks about her road to elite distance running, her decision to make a major career change, and her adventures in motherhood. She opens up about her “plans” to get pregnant and what that means for a professional runner, and shares what actually happened on her road to having Riley, her now two-year-old son. It’s an honest, real-talk-filled conversation about the realities of new motherhood. (And fun fact: Amanda is coached by former Ali on the Run Show guest Kaitlin Goodman!)
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Did Amanda always want to be a runner? Plus, the time Joan Benoit Samuelson called Amanda a sandbagger (2:50)
- How Amanda met her husband at a local 5K (13:00)
- Amanda reflects on the first time she qualified for the Olympic Trials in the marathon, and what running the Trials was like (22:00)
- How Amanda has improved her mental strength (30:30)
- On deciding to have a baby, and the surprising amount of time it took to get pregnant (34:40)
- How Amanda felt throughout her pregnancy, and her adventures in postpartum running (45:00)
- On postpartum emotions, depression, and more (54:10)
- What Amanda wishes she had known as a new runner (1:02:35)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!