Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 267: Catching Up with Emily Halnon
- July 26, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 266: On the Record with Mario Fraioli, Host of The Morning Shakeout
- July 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 265: Catching Up with Chris Heuisler
- July 19, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 264: On the Record with Dana Giordano, Host of More Than Running
- July 15, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 263: Hawi Keflezighi, Founder & CEO of HAWI Management
Ali on the Run Show Episode 168: Dr. Shelby Harris, Clinical Psychologist & Sleep Expert
“When I started running, people laughed at me. But it was a challenge I needed to do for myself.”
Dr. Shelby Harris is a clinical psychologist and clinical associate professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the neurology and psychiatry departments. She specializes in anxiety, depression, and treating sleep disorders, and is the author of The Women’s Guide to Overcoming Insomnia. What does that have to do with running? On this episode, Dr. Harris shares how treating her insomnia-and-sleep-apnea-riddled patients led her to marathon running. She’s now a 13-time marathoner who has taken her time from 5:19 to 3:45, and she’s currently training for the 2019 Chicago Marathon, where she hopes to run a Boston Qualifying time. Dr. Harris shares her story of being seconds away from crossing the Boston Marathon finish line in 2013 when the second bomb went off, and talks about losing hearing in her left ear as a result of the blast. She also talks about using exposure therapy as a way to get back to running and racing. Plus, she answers your sleep questions! We received more than 200 questions from listeners (wow!), and Dr. Harris dishes out loads of advice, from how to deal with insomnia to how sleep impacts running and so much more.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Shelby got into the sleep field — and found running along the way (5:10)
- How much sleep should we all be getting, realistically? (8:50)
- On having phones in the bedroom (14:00)
- How sleep impacts running (19:35)
- How Shelby shaved nearly 90 minutes off her marathon time (21:50)
- Shelby’s 2013 Boston Marathon story (24:10)
- Shelby answers listener questions about sleep (34:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!