Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- This post is #sponsored by the amergastroassn #IBDParenthoodProject. Now and then. It's so crazy to look back at… https://t.co/q8xyFhBdCG 07:12:30 AM November 15, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- “When you’re in a powerless position & the rest of your career is totally dependent on what you do, you aren’t goin… https://t.co/Oxg9MuShaT 06:30:59 AM November 15, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- November 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 189: Running Industry Hot Takes with Phoebe Wright
- November 13, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 188: Nikki Hiltz & Therese Haiss
- November 6, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 187: I'm a New York City Marathon Race Announcer!
- November 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 186: Why It's An Exciting Time for Women's Running LIVE Show
- October 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 185: Janelle Hartman, Final Finisher of the 2018 New York City Marathon
Ali on the Run Show Episode 166: Rachel Wyman, Owner of Montclair Bread Company & Founder of Fueled by Doughnuts Run Club
“I was in survival mode. What can I do to pay our rent? What can I do to put food on the table?”
When Rachel Wyman was five months postpartum with her third child, she opened her first bakery: Montclair Bread Company. Then, when the bakery hit 4,000 Facebook likes, Rachel decided she should do something to celebrate the social media milestone. Despite not being a runner and never having run a race herself, she hosted a low-key 4K race that has since grown to become New Jersey’s hardest-to-get-into annual 5K. And Rachel, of course, has become a runner and triathlete along the way. Today, Montclair Bread Company is the town’s go-to destination for runners, and is home to the 2,000-member Fueled by Doughnuts run club. On this episode, Rachel, a mom of three, talks about what it was like working 80-hour weeks while getting her MBA and being the sole income provider for her family of five. (Her final project for her master’s degree was a business plan for a bakery — which she then made into a reality. A+ for Rachel!) She talks about the accident that shattered her pelvis and changed her life, the power of community, and the importance of following your passions and being open to where life takes you.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- The story behind the Fueled by Doughnuts 5K, and how it grew to something huge and amazing (4:45)
- How Rachel started the Fueled by Doughnuts run club, and grew it to more than 2,000 members (18:50)
- On being naturally business-minded (31:10)
- What it feels like walking into her bakery every day (52:50)
- What it was like being on — and winning! — Food Network’s Doughnut Showdown (55:00)
- The accident that shattered Rachel’s pelvis and changed her life (57:50)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!