Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I just felt like running! I don’t think that pace is quite accurate, and I made a handful of bathroom stops, plus… https://t.co/50UduIDrye 11:12:19 AM September 21, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This picture is from the summer of 2013. I was SO sick that summer. It was the hardest summer of my life. My Crohn’… https://t.co/LhMEKhc3WX 08:06:56 PM September 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- September 18, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 174: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Ali on the Run Show
- September 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 173: You Can Run a Marathon with Dawn Grunnagle
- September 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 172: Amanda Nurse, Elite Marathoner for adidas
- September 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 171: You Can Run a Marathon with Molly Bookmyer
- September 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 170: LIVE at NYRR RunnerCon with Nikki Hiltz & Allie Ostrander
Ali on the Run Show Episode 166: Rachel Wyman, Owner of Montclair Bread Company & Founder of Fueled by Doughnuts Run Club
“I was in survival mode. What can I do to pay our rent? What can I do to put food on the table?”
When Rachel Wyman was five months postpartum with her third child, she opened her first bakery: Montclair Bread Company. Then, when the bakery hit 4,000 Facebook likes, Rachel decided she should do something to celebrate the social media milestone. Despite not being a runner and never having run a race herself, she hosted a low-key 4K race that has since grown to become New Jersey’s hardest-to-get-into annual 5K. And Rachel, of course, has become a runner and triathlete along the way. Today, Montclair Bread Company is the town’s go-to destination for runners, and is home to the 2,000-member Fueled by Doughnuts run club. On this episode, Rachel, a mom of three, talks about what it was like working 80-hour weeks while getting her MBA and being the sole income provider for her family of five. (Her final project for her master’s degree was a business plan for a bakery — which she then made into a reality. A+ for Rachel!) She talks about the accident that shattered her pelvis and changed her life, the power of community, and the importance of following your passions and being open to where life takes you.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- The story behind the Fueled by Doughnuts 5K, and how it grew to something huge and amazing (4:45)
- How Rachel started the Fueled by Doughnuts run club, and grew it to more than 2,000 members (18:50)
- On being naturally business-minded (31:10)
- What it feels like walking into her bakery every day (52:50)
- What it was like being on — and winning! — Food Network’s Doughnut Showdown (55:00)
- The accident that shattered Rachel’s pelvis and changed her life (57:50)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!