Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I just felt like running! I don’t think that pace is quite accurate, and I made a handful of bathroom stops, plus… https://t.co/50UduIDrye 11:12:19 AM September 21, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This picture is from the summer of 2013. I was SO sick that summer. It was the hardest summer of my life. My Crohn’… https://t.co/LhMEKhc3WX 08:06:56 PM September 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- September 18, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 174: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Ali on the Run Show
- September 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 173: You Can Run a Marathon with Dawn Grunnagle
- September 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 172: Amanda Nurse, Elite Marathoner for adidas
- September 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 171: You Can Run a Marathon with Molly Bookmyer
- September 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 170: LIVE at NYRR RunnerCon with Nikki Hiltz & Allie Ostrander
Ali on the Run Show Episode 164: Carrie Kreiswirth, Breast Cancer Survivor & Marathoner
“I was letting life pass me by. I had just gone through all of this insanity, and I wasn’t really a participant in my own life. How could I let that happen?”
I first met Carrie Kreiswirth in 2011, when a marketing campaign for a local running store brought us together. Several years later, I saw a photo of Carrie on Facebook. She was bald. What had I missed? In the time since we met, Carrie had tested positive for the BRCA1 gene mutation — the one that raises the probability of developing breast and ovarian cancer — and was diagnosed with stage one triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma. Breast cancer. She underwent chemotherapy and breast reconstruction surgery. She went through the process of having her eggs frozen. And then, the self-proclaimed “non-runner” ran the New York City Marathon. This is a powerful, emotional, and inspirational episode.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your Aeropex wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Carrie shares her breast cancer story, starting from diagnosis (4:50)
- What chemotherapy — and losing her hair — was like, and the aftermath (23:40)
- How Carrie took back control of her life (32:40)
- How Carrie celebrated five years since her cancer diagnosis (42:45)
- Carrie’s message to women facing a scary diagnosis or life change (55:45)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!