Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- October 23, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 183: Stephanie Pennington, Creator of Project Finish
- October 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 182: Carly Gill, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- October 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 181: Carrie Tollefson BONUS EPISODE!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
Ali on the Run Show Episode 158: Beatie Deutsch, National Marathon Champion of Israel
“I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and discovered this tremendous strength that I had. It made me realize that so many of us have amazing gifts within us, but we’re sometimes scared to take that leap — so we don’t even realize what we’re capable of.” —Beatie Deutsch
Beatie Deutsch is a 29-year-old Orthodox Jewish mom of five living in Israel, by way of New Jersey. And she’s earned the nickname “Speedy Beatie” for a reason: Despite only picking up running a few years ago, Beatie runs a 2:42 marathon and a 1:17 half marathon. On this episode, she talks about what it’s like being the National Marathon Champion of Israel, and breaks down her monumental Tiberias Marathon win, where she not only ran a 2:42, she ran a 27-minute personal best time in the process, negative splitting the race by six minutes. She talks about being an Orthodox Jewish woman and runner in 2019, explaining her race attire (she runs with her elbows, knees, and hair covered), her values, and what it’s like looking different from other women on the starting line. Beatie is sponsored by Nike, and her current goal is to qualify to represent Israel in the 2020 Olympic Games in the marathon.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Beatie became “Speedy Beatie” (3:25)
- On winning the Tiberias Marathon and running a 27-minute marathon PR in the process (4:15)
- How Beatie became a runner (12:00)
- How Beatie went from a 3:25 marathon to a 2:42 (22:00)
- What it’s like to be an Orthodox Jewish runner in 2019 (29:00)
- What it means to be sponsored by Nike (38:00)
- Busting common misconceptions about the Orthodox Jewish community (40:20)
- Beatie’s message to runners who think they don’t look like everyone else (46:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!