Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- February 19, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 209: Catching Up with Andrea Barber
- February 17, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Live in Atlanta + Runners to Watch at the Olympic Marathon Trials
- February 13, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 208: Love on the Run Week with Kara & Adam Goucher
- February 12, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 207: Love on the Run Week with Gwen Jorgensen & Pat Lemieux
- February 11, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 206: Love on the Run Week with Steph & Ben Bruce
Ali on the Run Show Episode 149: The Women Reporting on Women's Running
“There’s a lot of work that goes into this, and we take it really seriously.” —Sarah Lorge Butler
Welcome to the first-ever Ali on the Run Show roundtable! I was thrilled and honored to get to have this conversation with four of the women leading the charge reporting on the women’s running industry: Erin Strout (Women’s Running), Sarah Lorge Butler (Runner’s World), Lindsay Crouse (The New York Times), and Alison Wade (Fast Women). On this episode, we talk about what it’s like covering professional women’s running — both the highlights and the challenges. We talk about whether the four of them are competitive when it comes to breaking major stories, like Lindsay’s recent “Dream Maternity” piece in the Times. They open up about their relationships with the best-known professional runners, and sound off on the current state of the industry as they see it. They also share their perspective on how to cover the industry critically and thoughtfully while also wanting to support runners of all abilities and advance the sport.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Are these women friends, competitors, or both? (4:45)
- Lindsay talks about the reaction to her “Dream Maternity” stories (6:00)
- Finding the balance between being critical and wanting to elevate and advance the industry (17:00)
- How the Fast Women newsletter comes together every week (19:30)
- On reading the comments (23:50)
- What is the current state of the women’s running industry? (24:40)
- Who do these women love interviewing, and what are their relationships with the pros like? (33:30)
- What is the biggest struggle right now when it comes to covering women’s running? (48:30)
- How to measure success in reporting (56:00)
What we mention on this episode:
“Nike Told Me to Dream Crazy, Until I Wanted a Baby,” by Lindsay Crouse for The New York Times
“Allyson Felix: My Own Nike Pregnancy Story,” by Lindsay Crouse for The New York Times
“7 Pearls of Wisdom From a 103-Year-Old World Record Holder” via Women’s Running
“How the ‘Shalane Flanagan Effect’ Works,” by Lindsay Crouse for The New York Times
“How Emily Infeld Cross-Trained Her Way to the Olympics,” by Erin Strout for Runner’s World
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!