Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
- June 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 255: Ramblings on the Run with Ali & Matt
- June 24, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 254: Samia Akbar, Fastest U.S.-Born Black Female Marathoner
- June 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 253: On the Job with Steph Blozy, Owner of Fleet Feet Sports West Hartford
Ali on the Run Show Episode 148: April Cargill on Becoming a Marathoner at 50
“I thought oh, London Marathon, that sounds cute! So I signed up. And then I was like Paris Marathon? Oh my god, that sounds so cute, too. So I signed up for that, too.”
In her twenties, April Cargill was a two-pack-a-day smoker working long days and staying up late nights in the fashion industry in New York City. Today, at 55, the Harlem native is a six-time marathoner on a quest to complete all six World Marathon Majors. On this episode, April — who is the director of production for designer Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss — talks about why she started running in her fifties, what finally got her to kick the smoking habit, and what it’s like being a hard-working single mom.
Thank you to the New York Road Runners Virtual Pride Run 5K for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE to register (it’s free!) and complete your run between June 22–30. Everybody’s doing it!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What was 20-year-old April up to? (3:00)
- What April’s job in the fashion industry is like (4:50)
- How April got into a serious smoking habit — and found fitness when she quit (7:40)
- What it was like starting running in her fifties, and the intimidation factor that came with it (23:00)
- On joining November Project, and working out with her son, Aubrey (32:00)
- April opens up about being a single mom (41:40)
- How running has helped April get through tough times (47:11)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!