Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- Excited to share today's bonus episode with @CarrieTollefson, who just ran a 2:51 marathon at the Twin Cities Marat… https://t.co/aR94n5RILl about 18 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Exactly one year ago, I woke up at 5 AM for a 6:15 otfedgewater class. I was home by 7:30, showered, and then edite… https://t.co/YPqgJL073S about 20 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 181: Carrie Tollefson BONUS EPISODE!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
- September 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 177: You Can Run a Marathon Q&A with Greg McMillan & Dr. Cathy Yeckel
Ali on the Run Show Episode 143: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Taraneh Shirazian, OB/GYN & President of Saving Mothers
“Women are dying of causes that should not kill them in 2019.”
Dr. Taraneh Shirazian is a board-certified OB/GYN and surgeon practicing at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City, where she’s also the Director of Global Women’s Health at NYU’s College of Global Public Health. In 2009, Dr. Shirazian created the Saving Mothers nonprofit organization, whose goal is to lower the global rate of maternal deaths. Currently, 350,000 women worldwide die due to pregnancy and childbirth complications. That’s one mother dying every two minutes. On this episode, we talk about the important work Saving Mothers is doing to further women’s empowerment and patient advocacy during pregnancy and childbirth, and we discuss why, exactly, so many women are dying this way, particularly women of color. Dr. Shirazian, a mom of two, also talks about her newest venture, Mommy Matters, which directly supports Saving Mothers.
Thank you to Sweaty Betty for sponsoring Motherhood Mondays on the Ali on the Run Show! Go to sweatybetty.com and use code ONTHERUN for 20 percent off your purchase.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Why Dr. Shirazian says doctors make the worst patients (5:15)
- Why are so many women dying during childbirth? (7:45)
- All about Saving Mothers (12:30)
- Why are so many women dying during childbirth in New York City? Plus, the racial disparities involved with maternal deaths (17:00)
- Shirazian’s recommended resources for pregnant women (23:00)
- How to support Saving Mothers (24:30)
- All about Mommy Matters (27:20)
- Shirazian’s message to moms in all stages of motherhood, plus what she remembers about her own experience as a new mom (35:50)
- On returning to work post-baby (41:30)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!