Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- December 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 192: Adrianne Haslet, Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor
- November 27, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 191: The Great Turkey Trot of 2014
- November 20, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 190: Sarah True, Olympian & Ironman Triathlete
- November 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 189: Running Industry Hot Takes with Phoebe Wright
- November 13, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 188: Nikki Hiltz & Therese Haiss
Ali on the Run Show Episode 142: Jen Ator, Women's Running Editor in Chief
“You really can do anything. That doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy and that doesn’t mean it’s not going to be without sacrifice. It also doesn’t mean you’re going to be a rockstar at it. But you can do anything if you’re willing to put yourself out there and really risk failing in a huge way.”
Last month, Jen Ator was hired as the new editor in chief of Women’s Running. Before joining WR, Jen was the longtime fitness director at Women’s Health. On this episode, Jen talks about her decision to leave one dream job for another, and shares her hopes, dreams, and big plans for Women’s Running. She shares her running story, including the heartbreaking knee injury that sidelined her just as she was hitting her running groove. Plus, she shares her advice for getting through some “really tough days.” Jen also talks about the opportunity of a lifetime: getting to race Ironman Kona with training partner and Olympic speed skater Apolo Ohno. She talks about her friendship with Deena Kastor, how her approach to exercise has changed over the past few years, and her book, The Fitness Fix.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How it feels to get to say “I’m an editor in chief” Plus, Jen opens up about her decision to leave one dream job for another (3:30)
- Jen’s hopes, dreams, plans, and goals for Women’s Running — and is anything off-limits? (9:15)
- What does the editor in chief job entail? (16:20)
- Jen reflects on her time at Women’s Health, and how she rose through the ranks and really proved herself to a tough editor in chief (30:00)
- Jen’s running story — how she went from college lacrosse player to runner to devastating ACL injury to competing at Ironman Kona alongside Apolo Ohno (39:30)
- On dealing with imposter syndrome leading up to Ironman Kona (54:30)
- What’s next for Jen? (1:01:10)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!