Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- May 22, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 144: Sara & Ryan Hall
- May 19, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 143: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Taraneh Shirazian, OB/GYN & President of Saving Mothers
- May 15, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 142: Jen Ator, Women's Running Editor in Chief
- May 12, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 141: Motherhood Mondays with Colleen Lubin, Creator of Not Quite Knocked Up
- May 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 140: Carolyn Su, Creator of @diversewerun
Ali on the Run Show Episode 141: Motherhood Mondays with Colleen Lubin, Creator of Not Quite Knocked Up
“I tried to float somewhere between hopeful and hopeless.”
Colleen Lubin’s story is one with a tremendous amount of loss — and, ultimately, one of resiliency and strength. All her life, Colleen dreamed of becoming a mom. But, like the 6.1 million women in the United States who struggle with infertility, the road to having a baby wasn’t easy for Colleen, who created the blog “Not Quite Knocked Up” to document her journey. (It’s a must-read for those trying to conceive and those in the throes of new motherhood.)
In the span of three years, Colleen suffered five miscarriages (including both a chemical pregnancy and an ectopic pregnancy) and two failed IVF treatments. The sixth time she found out she was pregnant — the one that would stick — was the day after her dad died unexpectedly. Today, Colleen is mom to nine-month-old Liam, and she’s been open, honest, and very candid about her road to pregnancy, what pregnancy after loss is like, and what it was like going into labor six weeks early, six hours away from home.
I am sending so much love and light to all the women out there this Mother’s Day. Whether your day was celebratory or difficult, I am here for you. If I’ve learned anything as a new mom, it’s that moms in all stages have each others’ backs. I have yours.
Thank you to Sweaty Betty for sponsoring Motherhood Mondays on the Ali on the Run Show! Go to sweatybetty.com and use code ONTHERUN for 20 percent off your purchase.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Did Colleen always know she wanted to be a mom? (4:00)
- Did Colleen expect the road to motherhood to be easy? (5:50)
- Colleen opens up about her long road to having a baby (9:40)
- The emotional side of suffering multiple miscarriages (20:20)
- Colleen’s take on what to say — and what not to say — to women struggling with infertility, miscarriage, and loss (24:00)
- Colleen’s IVF journey (31:00)
- The toll five miscarriages and two failed rounds of IVF took on Colleen’s marriage (40:00)
- Colleen’s reaction when she found out she was pregnant — the day after her dad passed away unexpectedly (45:35)
- Colleen’s message to women struggling with infertility, miscarriage, or loss (57:00)
- On having a baby six weeks early, six hours from home (1:00:03)
- On guilt, shame, and inadequacy (1:04:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!