Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- August 5, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 268: Jenny Simpson
- July 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 267: Catching Up with Emily Halnon
- July 26, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 266: On the Record with Mario Fraioli, Host of The Morning Shakeout
- July 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 265: Catching Up with Chris Heuisler
- July 19, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 264: On the Record with Dana Giordano, Host of More Than Running
Ali on the Run Show Episode 140: Carolyn Su, Creator of @diversewerun
“Take assessment of who you feel more comfortable making eye contact with.”
Carolyn Su is the creator of the @diversewerun Instagram account, where she shares inspiring stories from runners from all backgrounds. Carolyn, who is a Taiwanese-American daughter of immigrant parents and was born and raised in Texas, is a strong voice advocating for more diversity and representation within the running community. On this episode, Carolyn — who is a mom of two living with her husband and kids in Boston, MA — talks about her foray into running and how having an eating disorder in high school and college factored into her running journey. She also talks about how we can all advocate for more diversity and inclusion within the running community. A must-listen!
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Carolyn became a runner — and how an eating disorder factored in (7:10)
- Carolyn’s road to recovery from her eating disorder (13:30)
- Why Carolyn ran her first marathon (16:40)
- Did Carolyn’s family support her running? (22:20)
- What it was like growing up as an Asian-American daughter of immigrants in Houston, TX (25:41)
- Why Carolyn started the @diversewerun Instagram account (35:44)
- What can I — a basic white girl with a community — do to encourage more diversity in running and amplify these voices from men and women of color? (46:00)
- Carolyn’s advice for modeling good behavior for our kids, and how to teach young people about race (53:45)
What we mention on this episode:
Keep the conversation going:
I asked Carolyn for some of her favorite resources and accounts that help broaden the scope of the running community and of our own social constructs. She recommended @theconsciouskid, @teachandtransform, @diversityinadventure, @indigenoustrail, and @melaninbasecamp. Check them out!
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!