Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- My favorite part of Monday morning is reading the super smart, wildly comprehensive @fast_women newsletter. Subscri… https://t.co/aq4gmw8i4b about 6 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- So cool to walk into lululemon gsplaza and see this (pink!) Ali on the Run display! Still processing Thursday’s gam… https://t.co/Zh6mhQXek2 06:45:36 PM July 20, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- July 17, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 158: Beatie Deutsch, National Marathon Champion of Israel
- July 17, 2019 by Ali9 Months of Annie
- July 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 157: Motherhood Mondays with Julia Berteletti and Laura Green
- July 10, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 156: Sarah MacKay Robinson, Elite Runner
- July 7, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 155: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Molly Millwood, Clinical Psychologist
Ali on the Run Show Episode 140: Carolyn Su, Creator of @diversewerun
“Take assessment of who you feel more comfortable making eye contact with.”
Carolyn Su is the creator of the @diversewerun Instagram account, where she shares inspiring stories from runners from all backgrounds. Carolyn, who is a Taiwanese-American daughter of immigrant parents and was born and raised in Texas, is a strong voice advocating for more diversity and representation within the running community. On this episode, Carolyn — who is a mom of two living with her husband and kids in Boston, MA — talks about her foray into running and how having an eating disorder in high school and college factored into her running journey. She also talks about how we can all advocate for more diversity and inclusion within the running community. A must-listen!
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Carolyn became a runner — and how an eating disorder factored in (7:10)
- Carolyn’s road to recovery from her eating disorder (13:30)
- Why Carolyn ran her first marathon (16:40)
- Did Carolyn’s family support her running? (22:20)
- What it was like growing up as an Asian-American daughter of immigrants in Houston, TX (25:41)
- Why Carolyn started the @diversewerun Instagram account (35:44)
- What can I — a basic white girl with a community — do to encourage more diversity in running and amplify these voices from men and women of color? (46:00)
- Carolyn’s advice for modeling good behavior for our kids, and how to teach young people about race (53:45)
What we mention on this episode:
Keep the conversation going:
I asked Carolyn for some of her favorite resources and accounts that help broaden the scope of the running community and of our own social constructs. She recommended @theconsciouskid, @teachandtransform, @diversityinadventure, @indigenoustrail, and @melaninbasecamp. Check them out!
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!