Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I just felt like running! I don’t think that pace is quite accurate, and I made a handful of bathroom stops, plus… https://t.co/50UduIDrye 11:12:19 AM September 21, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This picture is from the summer of 2013. I was SO sick that summer. It was the hardest summer of my life. My Crohn’… https://t.co/LhMEKhc3WX 08:06:56 PM September 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- September 18, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 174: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Ali on the Run Show
- September 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 173: You Can Run a Marathon with Dawn Grunnagle
- September 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 172: Amanda Nurse, Elite Marathoner for adidas
- September 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 171: You Can Run a Marathon with Molly Bookmyer
- September 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 170: LIVE at NYRR RunnerCon with Nikki Hiltz & Allie Ostrander
Ali on the Run Show Episode 136: Motherhood Mondays with Kristin Mallon, Certified Nurse Midwife
“We talk so much about the physical changes — but I wish we talked more about the emotional pieces in pregnancy.”
Welcome to the first episode in a 10-part Motherhood Mondays series on the Ali on the Run Show. The minute I found out I was pregnant in February 2018, my brain was consumed with all things pregnancy, childbirth, and Buy Buy Baby coupons. But once I gave birth, my world was rocked. I’d prepared for pregnancy, but had no idea what I was in for when it came to new motherhood. The breastfeeding, the hormones, the hair loss, the sleep deprivation — all things people had told me about, but that I don’t think I ever could have fully prepared for. And so I struggled — hard. I’ve been at this new mom thing for six months now, and while I’m no expert, many of the guests on this series are. This series is all about new motherhood: the struggles, the intensity, the big wins, and little victories. It’s a judgment-free, no-such-thing-as-TMI look at survival mode, thriving mode, and everything in between.
First up: Kristin Mallon, a board certified nurse midwife and founder of Integrative Obstetrics in Jersey City, NJ, who has delivered more than 4,000 babies in her 16 years of experience. Kristin is a mom of four and a four-time marathoner — and she was my midwife! I had an amazing pregnancy and delivery under Kristin’s care, and I’m thrilled to welcome her to the show.
Thank you to Sweaty Betty for sponsoring Motherhood Mondays on the Ali on the Run Show! Go to sweatybetty.com and use code ONTHERUN for 20 percent off your purchase.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Kristin became a midwife, and what the difference is between an OB/GYN and a midwife (3:30)
- Common misconceptions about midwifery (8:05)
- Who might want to consider using a midwife during pregnancy and delivery? (11:00)
- On first-time moms and pregnancy FAQs (13:55)
- Kristin’s top dos and don’ts during pregnancy (18:10)
- What Kristin wants to say to women trying to get pregnant after miscarriage or loss (22:20)
- How to advocate for yourself during pregnancy (25:00)
- All about “birth plans” and birth disappointment (31:30)
- What is a midwife’s role during the childbirth process? (41:00)
- On pooping and tearing (46:00)
- What women and their partners should understand about recovering from childbirth — physically and mentally (48:30)
- What Kristin’s four birth experiences were like (54:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!