Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- December 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 192: Adrianne Haslet, Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor
- November 27, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 191: The Great Turkey Trot of 2014
- November 20, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 190: Sarah True, Olympian & Ironman Triathlete
- November 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 189: Running Industry Hot Takes with Phoebe Wright
- November 13, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 188: Nikki Hiltz & Therese Haiss
Ali on the Run Show Episode 128: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Nicole Detling, Sports Psychologist
“Be honest, be real, be vulnerable. That’s how you find your mental toughness.” —Dr. Nicole Detling
This episode will change your life on the run. It’s a bold statement, I know, but Dr. Nicole Detling, the founder of Headstrong Consulting in Utah, is here to help us all improve our mental game. Dr. Detling is a mental performance coach for teams and athletes including the US Ski and Snowboard Association, Ballet West, tons of Olympians, and members of the PGA, MLB, NBA, NHL, and more. On this episode, she talks about building mental strength, getting through tough workouts and races, motivation, “chunking,” tapping into your “why,” coming back from a break, and the importance of rest days — both physical and mental. She also talks a lot about failure — why we fear it, what it actually means, and how social media factors into that fear of failure. We wrap up the episode by talking about exercise abuse.
Thank you to Strava for sponsoring Ali & the Experts Week! CLICK HERE and use code ONTHERUN to get one month FREE with your purchase of a Strava Summit subscription.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Advice for training your brain on the run (4:30)
- How to mentally prep for and thrive on race day (23:50)
- General Q&A (45:33)
What we mention on this episode:
Follow Dr. Detling:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!