Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- My favorite part of Monday morning is reading the super smart, wildly comprehensive @fast_women newsletter. Subscri… https://t.co/aq4gmw8i4b about 19 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- So cool to walk into lululemon gsplaza and see this (pink!) Ali on the Run display! Still processing Thursday’s gam… https://t.co/Zh6mhQXek2 06:45:36 PM July 20, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- July 17, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 158: Beatie Deutsch, National Marathon Champion of Israel
- July 17, 2019 by Ali9 Months of Annie
- July 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 157: Motherhood Mondays with Julia Berteletti and Laura Green
- July 10, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 156: Sarah MacKay Robinson, Elite Runner
- July 7, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 155: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Molly Millwood, Clinical Psychologist
Ali on the Run Show Episode 120: Bree Branker, NYC Trainer & Fitness Model
“I said I want to be the best. But at what?” —Bree Branker
Baby Bree Branker dreamed about growing up and becoming a professional dancer. By 19, after attending a performing arts high school, she’d made that happen, as a Rockette and on Broadway in West Side Story, Spamalot, Memphis, and Big Fish. But by her early twenties, everything changed. Bree finally accepted the nagging hip dysplasia that had been plaguing her body for years — even getting her fired from her dream job at Cirque du Soleil — and found fitness instead. On this episode, Bree, now one of New York City’s top trainers and a Wilhelmina model, opens up about the mental side of injury, the state of the fitness industry, and what it’s like navigating the New York City boutique fitness scene. She talks about her Instagram pet peeves, luck, determination, a cross-country move, and why she was “a terrible Rockette.” Plus, she shares why she got turned down for a SoulCycle audition, what terrified her as a Flywheel instructor, and why she’s currently training for a half marathon.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Bree’s road to becoming a professional dancer (2:45)
- Why Bree got fired from her dream job at Cirque du Soleil, and the injury that ended her dance career (14:15)
- How Bree finally hit her dance career-ending breaking point (26:50)
- How Bree broke into the fitness industry (28:00)
- Bree’s take on the current state of the fitness industry, on Instagram and in real life (38:15)
- Why Bree felt like a fraud in the fitness world, and the a-ha moment that made her realize she’d made it (42:00)
- How Bree got into modeling — and met her now-fiance along the way (47:30)
- How and why Bree learned to “chill out” about fitness (51:30)
- Why Bree is training for a half marathon (59:30)
What we mention on this episode:
“Influence vs. Expertise: The Dangerous Rise of the Fitness Influencer” via The Sweat Life
“An Injury Left Me in a Dark Place — Until Working Out Got Me Out of It” via Women’s Health
FitOn app (use code BREE50 for 50% off)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!