Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- May 22, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 144: Sara & Ryan Hall
- May 19, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 143: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Taraneh Shirazian, OB/GYN & President of Saving Mothers
- May 15, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 142: Jen Ator, Women's Running Editor in Chief
- May 12, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 141: Motherhood Mondays with Colleen Lubin, Creator of Not Quite Knocked Up
- May 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 140: Carolyn Su, Creator of @diversewerun
Ali on the Run Show Episode 112: Sarah Cummings, Sub-Elite Runner
“I knew things were going to unravel at some point… But looking back, I don’t know if I would’ve done things differently.” —Sarah Cummings
Few people have a work ethic like Sarah Cummings. Sarah, a 2:34 marathoner, lives in New York City where she runs for the New York Athletic Club and is a two-time New York Road Runners Runner of the Year. Sarah works long hours in the finance industry in addition to running 100-mile weeks — sometimes include 20-mile run commutes! On this episode, Sarah — who is a former competitive figure skater who graduated with top honors from Princeton University — talks about coming back from a grueling hamstring injury to run an Olympic qualifying time at the California International Marathon.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Sarah recaps her 2018 CIM performance (2:30)
- Sarah reflects on her figure skating days and how she found running (7:00)
- Sarah talks about her relationship with her sister — and whether or not they’re competitive on the run (14:30)
- What it was like being a competitive runner in college (18:10)
- How Sarah runs 100-mile weeks while working a demanding career in finance (22:10)
- If given the choice, would Sarah go pro? (31:40)
- Sarah talks about her hamstring injury and getting through a major setback (35:25)
- What it’s like competing at the Olympic Trials as a sub-elite runner (48:50)
- Sarah’s best advice for dealing with an injury (52:45)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!