Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 2, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 258: Feel-Good Friday with Claudia Thompson, President of Claudia Connects
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
- June 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 255: Ramblings on the Run with Ali & Matt
- June 24, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 254: Samia Akbar, Fastest U.S.-Born Black Female Marathoner
Ali on the Run Show Episode 110: Olivia Young, Creator of Box + Flow
“Ask the tough questions. Who are you? Who aren’t you? What do you want? What don’t you want? Be so clear on who, what, where, when, how, why, and don’t sacrifice any piece of that puzzle if you want to live a full life.” —Olivia Young
Olivia Young is the founder and creator of Box + Flow, a yoga and boxing studio in New York City. But her plan wasn’t always to be a heavy-hitter in the fitness industry: Olivia, who grew up in Miami Beach, moved to New York City to attend culinary school and to pursue a career in the hospitality industry. She worked with celebrity chefs and made a name for herself in the restaurant world, all the while waking up crazy early to run, box, and do yoga. Those early-morning passions eventually manifested in what is now Box + Flow. On this episode, Olivia, who was recently named “the woman who is redefining how NYC works out” on the coveted PureWow 100 list, reflects on her career path, her business mistakes, her great successes, what she’s afraid of, and what it means to “liv young.”
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Why Olivia doesn’t bother with fancy workout clothes (3:30)
- What it means to Olivia to “liv young” (5:30)
- Where Olivia got her work ethic, and how not getting a lead role in a musical led to her first disappointment — and changed her life (8:15)
- Why Olivia pursued a career in hospitality, and what culinary school was like (14:00)
- What it was really like working in the restaurant industry (22:00)
- All about Box+Flow, Olivia’s fitness studio in NYC (27:00)
- Did Olivia know Box+Flow would be an immediate success? And what does it mean to “flow through the fight?” (31:00)
- Where Liv got her confidence, and what has the power to make her feel insecure (37:00)
- Is it hard working in the restaurant industry and living a healthy lifestyle? And how Olivia feels about the idea of “cheat days” (43:00)
- What Olivia says she’s proudest of, what she’s afraid of, and how she focuses on being brave (48:45)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!