Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
- September 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 177: You Can Run a Marathon Q&A with Greg McMillan & Dr. Cathy Yeckel
- September 25, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 176: Megan Harrington, Creator of The Runner's Kitchen
Ali on the Run Show Episode 84: Career Q&A with Katie Burke
“It’s never too late to do what you wanted to do growing up. But it’s not going to come easy, and no one’s going to hand it to you.” —Katie Burke
Katie Burke is the Chief People Officer at HubSpot, a marketing software company in Boston that employs more than 2,300 people worldwide. Of those 2,300, Katie was the company’s first female to land a spot in the c-suite. (Today, 45 percent of the company’s vice presidents are women.) And on this episode, Katie is answering all of your career-related questions! From negotiating raises and promotions to navigating tricky bosses, office politics, and big career changes, Katie has brilliant advice for all of it. You’re going to want to take notes for this one!
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $55 off your wireless headphone bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Katie talks about her upcoming sabbatical and how she plans to spend it (1:30)
- Katie’s best advice for building and strengthening confidence (3:10)
- Katie’s take on “being nice” (5:00)
- What to know about making a career change (9:00)
- What are the top three things that make a resume stand out? (13:00)
- Do you really need to know someone to get a job at a company? (14:00)
- What should an awesome cover letter look like? (15:00)
- Applying for more than one job or role at a company: Yay or nay? (16:00)
- How to explain a gap in employment to be a stay-at-home parent (16:30)
- How do I know what I’m worth? (18:20)
- How to negotiate your salary (21:25)
- Everything to know about raises (25:15)
- Maternity leave: When to tell your boss and how to negotiate the terms (28:00)
- How not to get talked over or disrespected during meetings (34:20)
- How to handle an unresponsive, disengaged boss (36:25)
- What to do when you and your friend are both up for the same job or promotion (38:00)
- What to do when you love your job and field, but everyone around you is miserable (39:30)
- How to apply for a different role within your current company, and when to tell your manager (42:10)
- How to be a standout employee during your first 30–90 days at a new job (44:15)
- How to deal with insecurity at a new job (46:30)
- How do I figure out what I actually want to do with my life? (48:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!