Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I’ve always been in such awe of parents who finish their races and go right back to momming and dadding. It seemed… https://t.co/wIS9mufpqJ about 8 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Oh gosh, if your job is to be the PR agency representing Skechers, YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO SPELL SKECHERS! THERE IS… https://t.co/7LUVkG0Swd about 14 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- March 12, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 128: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Nicole Detling, Sports Psychologist
- March 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 127: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Rachel Nazarian, Dermatologist
- March 10, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 126: Ali & the Experts Week with Shannon McLay, Founder of The Financial Gym
- March 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 125: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Logan Levkoff, Sex & Relationships Educator
- March 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 124: Ali & the Experts Week with Brynn Fessette O'Neill, Physical Therapist
Ali on the Run Show Episode 81: Rob Krar, Ultra Runner & Mental Health Advocate
“I said, ‘No way am I running Western States! That’s 100 miles!’” — Rob Krar, Western States Endurance Run winner 2014
Rob Krar is one of the kings of ultra running. He was a middle-distance runner through college, but then threw his running shoes in the trash, insisting he was done with running forever. Famous last words: Though Rob did take a break from running (during which time he worked grueling 12-hour graveyard shifts as a pharmacist), he eventually returned to the sport in a big way — as an ultramarathoner. He has won the most prestigious and competitive ultras, including Western States, Leadville, Run Rabbit Run, and a handful of North Face Endurance Challenge races, to name just a few. Rob is also a vocal advocate for mental health, and on this episode he opens up about his struggles with depression. Rob lives in Flagstaff, AZ, with his wife and fellow ultra runner, Christina.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $30 off your wireless headphone purchase!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How and why Rob transitioned from the track to ultra running (4:15)
- How Rob met his wife, Christina, and the role running plays in their relationship (12:10)
- How Rob says he found his purpose through running after a difficult time in his life, and why he became drawn to ultras (18:45)
- What Rob’s relationship with pain is like (26:45)
- How Rob, who is self-coached, plans his training schedule and goal races (33:50)
- Rob’s advice for dealing with injuries, both physically and emotionally (41:10)
- What Rob tells people who are interested in getting into ultra running (43:50)
- Rob opens up about his mental health struggles and experience with depression (45:45)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!