Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- September 19, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 98: Mary Wittenberg, Former CEO of New York Road Runners & Virgin Sport
- September 17, 2018 by AliBaby on the Run: Week 34
- September 12, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 97: Amy Cragg
- September 12, 2018 by AliBaby on the Run: Week 33
- September 10, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 96: LIVE at NYRR RunnerCon with Jenny Simpson, Emma Coburn, & Peter Ciaccia
Ali on the Run Show Episode 81: Rob Krar, Ultra Runner & Mental Health Advocate
“I said, ‘No way am I running Western States! That’s 100 miles!’” — Rob Krar, Western States Endurance Run winner 2014
Rob Krar is one of the kings of ultra running. He was a middle-distance runner through college, but then threw his running shoes in the trash, insisting he was done with running forever. Famous last words: Though Rob did take a break from running (during which time he worked grueling 12-hour graveyard shifts as a pharmacist), he eventually returned to the sport in a big way — as an ultramarathoner. He has won the most prestigious and competitive ultras, including Western States, Leadville, Run Rabbit Run, and a handful of North Face Endurance Challenge races, to name just a few. Rob is also a vocal advocate for mental health, and on this episode he opens up about his struggles with depression. Rob lives in Flagstaff, AZ, with his wife and fellow ultra runner, Christina.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $30 off your wireless headphone purchase!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How and why Rob transitioned from the track to ultra running (4:15)
- How Rob met his wife, Christina, and the role running plays in their relationship (12:10)
- How Rob says he found his purpose through running after a difficult time in his life, and why he became drawn to ultras (18:45)
- What Rob’s relationship with pain is like (26:45)
- How Rob, who is self-coached, plans his training schedule and goal races (33:50)
- Rob’s advice for dealing with injuries, both physically and emotionally (41:10)
- What Rob tells people who are interested in getting into ultra running (43:50)
- Rob opens up about his mental health struggles and experience with depression (45:45)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!