Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I just felt like running! I don’t think that pace is quite accurate, and I made a handful of bathroom stops, plus… https://t.co/50UduIDrye 11:12:19 AM September 21, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This picture is from the summer of 2013. I was SO sick that summer. It was the hardest summer of my life. My Crohn’… https://t.co/LhMEKhc3WX 08:06:56 PM September 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- September 18, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 174: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Ali on the Run Show
- September 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 173: You Can Run a Marathon with Dawn Grunnagle
- September 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 172: Amanda Nurse, Elite Marathoner for adidas
- September 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 171: You Can Run a Marathon with Molly Bookmyer
- September 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 170: LIVE at NYRR RunnerCon with Nikki Hiltz & Allie Ostrander
Ali on the Run Show Episode 81: Rob Krar, Ultra Runner & Mental Health Advocate
“I said, ‘No way am I running Western States! That’s 100 miles!’” — Rob Krar, Western States Endurance Run winner 2014
Rob Krar is one of the kings of ultra running. He was a middle-distance runner through college, but then threw his running shoes in the trash, insisting he was done with running forever. Famous last words: Though Rob did take a break from running (during which time he worked grueling 12-hour graveyard shifts as a pharmacist), he eventually returned to the sport in a big way — as an ultramarathoner. He has won the most prestigious and competitive ultras, including Western States, Leadville, Run Rabbit Run, and a handful of North Face Endurance Challenge races, to name just a few. Rob is also a vocal advocate for mental health, and on this episode he opens up about his struggles with depression. Rob lives in Flagstaff, AZ, with his wife and fellow ultra runner, Christina.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $30 off your wireless headphone purchase!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How and why Rob transitioned from the track to ultra running (4:15)
- How Rob met his wife, Christina, and the role running plays in their relationship (12:10)
- How Rob says he found his purpose through running after a difficult time in his life, and why he became drawn to ultras (18:45)
- What Rob’s relationship with pain is like (26:45)
- How Rob, who is self-coached, plans his training schedule and goal races (33:50)
- Rob’s advice for dealing with injuries, both physically and emotionally (41:10)
- What Rob tells people who are interested in getting into ultra running (43:50)
- Rob opens up about his mental health struggles and experience with depression (45:45)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!