Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 2, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 258: Feel-Good Friday with Claudia Thompson, President of Claudia Connects
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
- June 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 255: Ramblings on the Run with Ali & Matt
- June 24, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 254: Samia Akbar, Fastest U.S.-Born Black Female Marathoner
Ali on the Run Show Episode 72: Liz Plosser, Women's Health Editor in Chief
“This notion of balance is this unrealistic thing we’re all striving toward. If you allow yourself to know that and believe that, it takes some of the pressure off.” —Liz Plosser
When you picture an editor in chief of a major women’s magazine, your mind probably goes right to Miranda Priestly of The Devil Wears Prada fame. Now picture the opposite — someone brilliant, kind, caring, and passionate in the most upbeat, positive way — and you have Women’s Health editor in chief Liz Plosser. Liz was named EIC of Women’s Health at the beginning of 2018, and her rise to the role wasn’t fueled by fate. Liz, who grew up in Kansas City, MO, worked her marathoning booty off to get to where she is today. After starting out as an investment banking analyst, Liz followed her dreams (literally) and moved into publishing. She started out at Self, and rose through the ranks at Time Out Chicago, Cosmopolitan, Well+Good, Canyon Ranch, SoulCycle, and more. On this episode, Liz discusses the challenges and perks of her job, talks about being a busy mom of three, and shares why she’s proud to be a “nice girl.” Enjoy, and wish Liz luck before she lines up at the start of the Popular Brooklyn Half next weekend!
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $30 off your wireless headphone purchase!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Liz answers: Was being the editor in chief of a women’s magazine always the goal? (2:45)
- Why Liz traded investment banking for publishing, and what that transition was like (8:25)
- The career moves Liz made that led her to her current role as editor in chief of Women’s Health — including the decision to leave New York City for a while (11:30)
- Liz’s take on whether the publishing industry is a catty, cutthroat one or a place where mentors and nice girls are easy to come by (20:55)
- What it was like getting the call (22:25)
- What Liz says makes Women’s Health so special, and whether she was nervous about stepping into the EIC role (24:45)
- The words, phrases, stories, and topics Liz and her team are avoiding, and the changes Liz has started implementing at WH (26:30)
- What Liz is doing to make Women’s Health different (29:20)
- The types of stories that get Liz most excited (33:40)
- The types of people Liz wants to hire, plus more career advice (43:20)
- Liz talks about meeting her husband, having three kids, and becoming a runner, plus where her relationship with running is at right now (44:45)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!